• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI reduced to MIP - Insurace effects?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolmarden

What is the name of your state? California

My brother was given a DUI ticket two months before his 21st birthday. However, due to his good record and the circumstances of the DUI it was reduced to an MIP by the court. He is now trying to get his restricted license to drive to work and back. While trying to get insurance it appears that the DMV still has him listed as a DUI and not an MIP as it should be and this is greatly increasing his cost for insurance. Is this correct? Shouldn't the court contact the DMV with the change in status? What should my brother do? Thanks for any help. If this is the wrong forum to post this topic please direct me to the correct one. Thanks again.

seniorjudge

coolmarden said:
What is the name of your state? California

My brother was given a DUI ticket two months before his 21st birthday. However, due to his good record and the circumstances of the DUI it was reduced to an MIP by the court. He is now trying to get his restricted license to drive to work and back. While trying to get insurance it appears that the DMV still has him listed as a DUI and not an MIP as it should be and this is greatly increasing his cost for insurance. Is this correct? Shouldn't the court contact the DMV with the change in status? What should my brother do? Thanks for any help. If this is the wrong forum to post this topic please direct me to the correct one. Thanks again.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=283265

double post

coolmarden

Actually "seniorjudge" it is a completely different post with a completely different question related to the same incident. If you actually took the 20 seconds to read the question as opposed to taking 2 minutes to copy and paste my old post you might have noticed. I hope people will still be able to assist me in my new situation and not get confused by my old post from last year. My brothers charge was reduced from a DUI to an MIP. Will the DMV records change to reflect the lower charges so that he can get less expensive insurance? Or is there something we need to do to correct this problem? Or is this something he will have to live with? Thanks for anybody's help and disregard that old post as that situation has been resolved.

outonbail

coolmarden said:
Actually "seniorjudge" it is a completely different post with a completely different question related to the same incident. If you actually took the 20 seconds to read the question as opposed to taking 2 minutes to copy and paste my old post you might have noticed.
Actually coolmarden, the seniorjudge posted a link to your other post, which probably took ten seconds, saving ten over reading your "brothers" latest dilemma. Had you taken the twenty seconds to click on the link and read what has been posted, rather than the ten minutes it took to spew some attitude, you would have noticed that someone was good enough to respond to this new, yet related question.

I hope people will still be able to assist me in my new situation and not get confused by my old post from last year.
Oh, now it's your new situation,,, here I was under the impression it was your brothers?

My brothers charge was reduced from a DUI to an MIP. Will the DMV records change to reflect the lower charges so that he can get less expensive insurance? Or is there something we need to do to correct this problem? Or is this something he will have to live with? Thanks for anybody's help and disregard that old post as that situation has been resolved.
Huh? now your back to this being your brothers situation? This flip/flop nonsense is really unnecessary. No one here gives a rats butt if it's you, your brother, your imaginary friend or Elvis. The court treats you all the same.

Well maybe not Elvis,,,, they may treat him special,,,,,

coolmarden

outonbail said:
Actually coolmarden, the seniorjudge posted a link to your other post, which probably took ten seconds, saving ten over reading your "brothers" latest dilemma. Had you taken the twenty seconds to click on the link and read what has been posted, rather than the ten minutes it took to spew some attitude, you would have noticed that someone was good enough to respond to this new, yet related question.

Oh, now it's your new situation,,, here I was under the impression it was your brothers?

Huh? now your back to this being your brothers situation? This flip/flop nonsense is really unnecessary. No one here gives a rats butt if it's you, your brother, your imaginary friend or Elvis. The court treats you all the same.

Well maybe not Elvis,,,, they may treat him special,,,,,
My other post was irrelevent to this situation so was pointless to bring up. He also said it was a double post which is untrue. Glad he saved 10 seconds by bringging up an old irrelevent post instead of reading the question. Isn't that what this site is for?

Oh, sorry for mixing that up, but it is my brother's situation. Glad you caught that because that makes a huge difference.

I'm sure no one cares about this flip/flop situation. Most people probably didn't catch it or care, except you so that you could flame me on here. I wonder what the flaming policy is on this site.

ha ha, you're a VERY funny guy.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

coolmarden said:
My other post was irrelevent to this situation so was pointless to bring up. He also said it was a double post which is untrue. Glad he saved 10 seconds by bringging up an old irrelevent post instead of reading the question. Isn't that what this site is for?

Oh, sorry for mixing that up, but it is my brother's situation. Glad you caught that because that makes a huge difference.

I'm sure no one cares about this flip/flop situation. Most people probably didn't catch it or care, except you so that you could flame me on here. I wonder what the flaming policy is on this site.

ha ha, you're a VERY funny guy.
I wonder what the flaming policy is on this site.

You will soon be finding out....

CdwJava

coolmarden said:
Your brother needs to take the court documents to the DMV and find out what he needs to do to get the record changed.

Also, what code section was your brother actually convicted of? In other words, what was he convicted in court for? Also, what does his DMV record say he was convicted of?

Also, the insurance company may see an MIP as the same as a DUI for their purposes. He can always shop around as there are companies that will insure almost any warm-blooded individual.

- Carl

coolmarden

Thanks Carl. My mom and brother went down to the DMV and did what you said today. The DMV said pretty much the same thing you did and their records are now showing it as an MIP instead of a DUI. Thanks again for you help. Its good to see that there are still helpful people.

Marden

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">