• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Surcharge Reduction on 25 year old case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xmitman

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I have a 25 year old DUI surcharge of $10,500.00 from the state of New Jersey. I'm trying to get a license in North Carolina but New Jersey is blocking it through the NDR until I pay this surcharge. Is there any way I can get the surcharge lowered?

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

xmitman

I made the mistake of drinking and driving 25 years ago. I was young and dumb and haven't had a single drink since. I haven't had a license or driven in 25 years. I now have a need for a license because I am caring for a relative with medical needs and many appointments.

PayrollHRGuy

That you were young and stupid at the time doesn't absolve you of the requirement to pay the debt. They do allow a payment program, though I don't know if they allow it for charges over 25 years old.

xmitman

I was hoping to lower it if possible so that I can pay something. I was also wondering, if after a certain period of time, if it gets expunged.

Just Blue

I was hoping to lower it if possible so that I can pay something. I was also wondering, if after a certain period of time, if it gets expunged.
Huh? Like if you ignore it, and don't pay for a long enough period of time, it dissapares? No, I doubt it.

FlyingRon

First off, if you have $10,500 in surcharges accumulated, you had THREE DUIs (it's $3000 for each of the first two and $4500 for the third),.

Payment plans are arranged by calling the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System, (844) 424-6829. You can also pay them online.

There's no such thing as expungement of fines/surcharges. In fact, since NJ DUIs aren't criminal, you can't get them expunged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">