• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI under 21 California follow up? Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnsmith425

Hi,

I recently was driving a friend who was wasted home in her car. I had drank earlier in the day but felt sober. Anyways, I forgot to turn on the headlights and got pulled over. I went through all the field sobriety tests and passed, and then was breathalyzed, which showed my BAC as 0.03. As I am under 21, this violates vehicle code 23136(a). However, everything I have read seems to show that this is a civil offense and not a criminal one. What can I expect from here on out? I know my license will get suspended for a year, but is this something I have to report to employers or schools in the future? Is there anything I need to know before going into court? I'm trying to avoid hiring a lawyer, broke college student here.

Thanks.

quincy

Hi,

I recently was driving a friend who was wasted home in her car. I had drank earlier in the day but felt sober. Anyways, I forgot to turn on the headlights and got pulled over. I went through all the field sobriety tests and passed, and then was breathalyzed, which showed my BAC as 0.03. As I am under 21, this violates vehicle code 23136(a). However, everything I have read seems to show that this is a civil offense and not a criminal one. What can I expect from here on out? I know my license will get suspended for a year, but is this something I have to report to employers or schools in the future? Is there anything I need to know before going into court? I'm trying to avoid hiring a lawyer, broke college student here.

Thanks.
If your BAC is not 0.05% or above, you can lose your license for a year but there will be no jail time and you will not have a DUI on your record. It is a violation of the Zero Tolerance law only.

You should not have to report a 0.03% BAC to an employer or a school.

I suggest you consult with a California attorney to see if there is a possibility of having the charge reduced or dismissed.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">