• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Duplicate checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thundervwj

Someone found my old checks I mobile deposited back in 2014. That person was able to cash it out at the same bank I bank with. I'm now negative 4,500. My bank won't tell me anything else besides the fact the person did cash it out at the same bank I bank with. I've filed a police report and also tried contacting the employer who issued the pay check. The old employer doesn't seem to want to help or reply. I've obtain a police report and even print outs from my bank with reference numbers to track the checks to send to my old employer but she just sends them back as if she has nothing to do with it. What my bank is telling me is that the person who was able to cash out the checks and the bank who actually paid him out was the old employers bank. Now the old employers bank deducted the funds from my account. This is so weird I know. We don't even share the same bank. How can someone just take money that isn't there's from someone else's Bank?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Someone found my old checks I mobile deposited back in 2014. That person was able to cash it out at the same bank I bank with. I'm now negative 4,500. My bank won't tell me anything else besides the fact the person did cash it out at the same bank I bank with. I've filed a police report and also tried contacting the employer who issued the pay check. The old employer doesn't seem to want to help or reply. I've obtain a police report and even print outs from my bank with reference numbers to track the checks to send to my old employer but she just sends them back as if she has nothing to do with it. What my bank is telling me is that the person who was able to cash out the checks and the bank who actually paid him out was the old employers bank. Now the old employers bank deducted the funds from my account. This is so weird I know. We don't even share the same bank. How can someone just take money that isn't there's from someone else's Bank?
What is the name of your US state?

Did you open an official fraud complaint with the bank?

ALawyer

Unclear What Happened But MAYBE You Should Close Your Account

I have to confess that I have been having some difficulty understanding exactly what happened. Did someone else try to cash an old check that someone made payable TO YOU? Or did someone take the routing and transfer numbers from YOUR account and use that data to withdraw funds FROM your account?

If it's the latter, the best first step might be to immediately close the compromised account and open a new account, at another bank if your bank is not being helpful. I understand it can be a hassle, especially if things are set up for automatic payment, to change banks and use new accounts, but at least you'd be starting with a clean new bank account (although you'd still be $4,500 in the hole).

Then the issue is how do you recover the $4,500?

How you should go about it depends on exactly what occurred, and that's unclear, at least to me. One thing you should be doing is DOCUMENTING, with detailed notes, every interaction you have had (including who you spoke with, what was said, and the date and time) keep documenting future calls and meetings with everyone you speak to about this, an keep copies of every email or letter you send or receive. Also, be aware that oral conversations often get forgotten, while letters and emails create a permanent record that puts folks on notice, and you can eventually share with the appropriate bank regulator or your state's consumer protection agency in an effort recover the $4,500.

justalayman

I have to confess that I have been having some difficulty understanding exactly what happened. Did someone else try to cash an old check that someone made payable TO YOU? Or did someone take the routing and transfer numbers from YOUR account and use that data to withdraw funds FROM your account?

i read it as checks that were written TO the op. He states he deposited them via a mobile ((phone) service. That generally entitles endorsing the check and then taking a picture of the front and reverse side of the check and processing it through a mobile app provided by the banking institution.

What I find very implausible is any bank would cash a 3 or 4 year old check, especially for a person other that the payee.

I also see no means for any entitity to withdraw the value of the check from the op’s account. There would be no way for anybody but the bank the checks were drawn on from knowing who and what account the money was paid to the first time they were cashed. Since they would have record the checks were already cashed, it is more likely they would refuse payment on the check the second time around and return it to whoever accepted it.

The op’s bank wouldn’t know op cashed the checks at his bank without a lot of research
And would have no reason to do so. They wouldn’t care unless the bank the checks were drawn on returned the checks without paying them where the op’s bank would seek repayment nkt from the op but whomever presented them to be cashed this most recent time.

The only thing that comes close to explaining what happened is the op redeposited the checks either without realizing he had already deposited them into his account or with intent to defraud his bank.

In either case it would be proper for his bank to withdraw the funds from his account or demand payment in cash since op would have recieved the value a second time improperly.

That would also explain how the op’s account became involved this second time the checks were cashed as well

Did anybody notice the inconsistencies in op’s story?

That person was able to cash it out at the same bank I bank with.

What my bank is telling me is that the person who was able to cash out the checks and the bank who actually paid him out was the old employers bank.
So which bank did this thief cash the checks at?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">