• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV & Endangerment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mama2piglet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I desperately need some legal advice on a situation that occurred last night.

Quick background:
My husband is an avid hunter and gun collector, he has 20+ shot guns/rifles in a locked cabinet in my home, and thousands of dollars worth of ammo in our garage.

My husband came home intoxicated, combative and belligerent yesterday. I'm not sure what it was that set him off, but his anger was directed at me. He grabbed my wrist and twisted it, he also kicked me.
I have four young children that were asleep during all of this commotion. I convinced him to go upstairs and go to bed (he was so drunk he was stumbling), I then went into the basement, intending to sleep down there to get away from him. He then follows me down to the basement where he is fighting with me again. I go upstairs to our bedroom and lock the door. At this time I hear the gun cabinet open, and things being shifted around. My home alarm then alerts me that the garage door was opened. He goes out to the garage and then comes back in a few minutes later. I am frightened now because I believe he went to get ammunition. I am scared for myself, but more for my four children. I don't think he'd intentionally hurt them, but alcohol and guns are not a combination I would like to chance with. He's never acted like this before and I'm not sure what he could do. I call the police and explain the situation. A swat team is at my house in minutes.
They arrest him for DV and Child endangerment. They seize all of his weapons and ammo. I don't want to press charges, we are self employed, my husband holds a securities and insurance license, and with a felony conviction he will lose it, there for losing our family business. That in turn takes food out of my children's mouths whether I stay or leave him.
The police tell me they will press charges if I do not. They also tell me I have to appear in court this morning. I was unable to go. My children are getting on the bus for school during that time. One officer told me if I didn't go the DV charges would be dropped.
He was released on 10,000.00 bond, has to reappear in court next month for a hearing. He has to stay away from my children and I for 72 hours.

My question is, how do the DV charges go now? And, what are the chances of child endangerment being dropped? OR, if he is convicted of this, what are the consequences? Keep in mind it is four counts, one for each of my children. If he is convicted will they return his rifles to him? Or would they be seized indefinitely?

Thank you so much for any help/advice you can give me.

Last edited:

Just Blue

When the police got there did your husband have a loaded weapon? Had he actually gotten the gun and ammo?

Ozark_Sophist

Your husband unlocked and removed guns. Went to another part of the house to get ammunition. What was the purpose in that other than to do harm to himself and/or others?

You won't need support if you are dead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">