• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV lottery & marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonymousname33

According to the 2020, DV lottery: http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2019-Instructions-Translations/DV-2019-Instructions-English.pdf

only certain countries can apply to have an visa. There is an eligibility requirement that says if your spouse that is an US citizen, was born in the US, they can sponsor an immigrant. Though what happens if the spouse that is an US citizen, was NOT born in the US, can that spouse still sponsor that immigrant?

Based on my understanding, if you're born in the US you can sponsor your spouse no matter their country. Though, I'm only confused if you weren't born in the US if you can still sponsor somebody.

Can somebody please clarify this information?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
A US citizen, regardless of how they came by their citizenship, may sponsor their spouse, regardless of their spouse's country of origin.

Of far greater importance is whether the US citizen spouse can prove that the immigrant spouse will be financially supported.

anonymousname33

A US citizen, regardless of how they came by their citizenship, may sponsor their spouse, regardless of their spouse's country of origin.

Of far greater importance is whether the US citizen spouse can prove that the immigrant spouse will be financially supported.

Okay, that is all cleared regarding marriage & sponsoring. I didnt say exact details regarding this situation. This should clarify everything.

Here is the story I need help solving: my acquaintance was born in the Philippines but immigrated to the US many years ago and is currently an citizen. My acquaintance speaks to somebody in the Philippines that was born and raised there. Only catch is the current DV lottery has banned people in the Philippines to immigrate here due to that too many came here recently.

However, according to the DV lottery eligibility rules, an US citizen can only sponsor an immigrate ONLY if that US citizen was born in a country that is eligib le to immigrate here. Meaning my acquaintance was born in the Philippines cant sponsor this person because he was born an country thats ineligible to immigrate here currently.

Though, what if he marries this immigrant? Does the same rule apply where you can sponsor somebody no matter if both people immigrated here? I'm only confused because the DV list says certain countries can not immigrate here but if you're married that rule seems to change.

The whole immigration process is in a state of flux with the administration changing the rules on seemingly a daily basis. It now looks like the President will declare a national emergency to get the funding for the wall, and this may impact the immigration process.
Others who more knowledgeable on the forum may be able to shed light on this possibility.
Find your self an immigration attorney because they will have their finger on the pulse of what is happening day by day.

Okay, that is all cleared regarding marriage & sponsoring. I didnt say exact details regarding this situation. This should clarify everything.

Here is the story I need help solving: my acquaintance was born in the Philippines but immigrated to the US many years ago and is currently an citizen. My acquaintance speaks to somebody in the Philippines that was born and raised there. Only catch is the current DV lottery has banned people in the Philippines to immigrate here due to that too many came here recently.

However, according to the DV lottery eligibility rules, an US citizen can only sponsor an immigrate ONLY if that US citizen was born in a country that is eligib le to immigrate here. Meaning my acquaintance was born in the Philippines cant sponsor this person because he was born an country thats ineligible to immigrate here currently.

Though, what if he marries this immigrant? Does the same rule apply where you can sponsor somebody no matter if both people immigrated here? I'm only confused because the DV list says certain countries can not immigrate here but if you're married that rule seems to change.
The DV is a lottery, sponsorship is not involved.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program is a lottery. There is no sponsor involved. If someone is from the allowed countries, the apply for the lottery, get a number, and hope for the best. Sometimes they get a good number, but can't follow through on the requirements on time, sometimes they just get a lousy number.

The reason a person married to a US citizen might try this varies. I knew of people years ago who did so because the office they had to go through to adjust their status was so slow.

The DV list has nothing to do with sponsoring an immigrant.

You are looking in the wrong section.

Bringing Spouses to Live in the USA as Permanent Residents is the correct area of the USCIS site to reference.

LdiJ

The DV Lottery and immigration due to marriage have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. Your friend can sponsor a spouse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">