• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DVD Movie Releasing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have been involved in a dispute with an internet based media company over the release of an MGM owned movie. I run a website for the movie and petitioned MGM/UA to release this movie to DVD. I wrote, emailed and called MGM and they claimed several times "their is no market for this movie on DVD".

Well 1-2 yrs after my contacts to MGM and their replies, "a" company releases the movie to vhs within less than a yr to DVD. The ironic part is this was a re-release since Turner Broadcasting purchased the MGM movie library in 1986 and released the movie on VHS, by 1990 is was out of print. By 2001, this company re-released the movie to vhs using the old theatrical poster as a cover and their company name on top, the dvd around 6 months later.

I purchased both thru the company but found their release was a copy of a United Kingdom vhs and DD release which is edited of 3 minutes. This became infamous for many more country and company dvd releases for this particular movie, except one.

Anyway, I contacted the company how they obtained the movie fom MGM/UA. At first they were relunctant but then emailed me a statement
"third party licencing". They never replied again nor explained what that was. In a final contact in 2003, using my name specifially on the phone said they were threatening a lawsuit I was disrupting their business. I immediately hung up. I only claimed they re-released an edited version. They probably don't know it, only an fan/expert on the movie like myself would know this. A second internet media company also released their own version, but again it was a UK copy. Whats more ironic part is this movie was released by 4-6 region 2 companies, but their is no US market they claim?

My question is: What is "third party licencing" and, although I know it would cost, how could I myself obtain this to release a DVD of the movie, a better version with features. Problem is I assume MGM/UA owns the movie or who ever owns Turner Broadcasting. How would I find out who owns the movie? MGM/UA is the tv, vhs logo. I can say Warner Bros released the first VHS and DVD in region 2 following the 1990 oop.

Sorry, I will not say what movie this is, although it probably sounds obvious. But its not a blockbuster thats for sure.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">