• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

E2 dependent visa for my wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrCraigWard

I'm a British national and I moved to New York from London recently on a 5 year E2 visa. I was engaged to my girlfriend of 7 years at the time (also a British national) and have since married her so she can join me in the US as a dependent.

She is about to apply for E2 dependent status - I am earning enough to support us both comfortably - but we're having trouble finding exactly what forms etc she needs to complete in order to do so.

Does anyone have any advice on what we need to do? I had to do very little for my visa as it was all arranged for and paid for by my company here in NY.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

I can almost bet your company had an attorney who handled your E2 status. That may be the person to contact to ask this question.

In a nutshell, since she is not currently legally in the US, she needs to apply for the Visa (DS-160). It's not a complex process but there are a lot of little details that if you miss one can provide substantial delays. It's worth the few hundred dollars to get someone who knows what they are doing to prepare the filings. If she is to work here, be sure to indicate that. That is an additional approval.

Just Blue

I can almost bet your company had an attorney who handled your E2 status. That may be the person to contact to ask this question.

In a nutshell, since she is not currently legally in the US, she needs to apply for the Visa (DS-160). It's not a complex process but there are a lot of little details that if you miss one can provide substantial delays. It's worth the few hundred dollars to get someone who knows what they are doing to prepare the filings. If she is to work here, be sure to indicate that. That is an additional approval.
This thread is from 2009. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">