• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

early employment termination illegally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnybgood999

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I Need some adviceon what I should do about a problem I'm having with my employer and H.R. Dept.(Andrew). I am on long term disability with severe heart conditions and back trouble. I went on short term disability on 11/04/2006. I had to have by-pass surgery and aorta valve and stem replacement on 12/13/2006. This surgery has changed my life and feelings of being an whole person. also from 04/05/2004 I had to have back surgery which involved fusion and 8 pounds of metal added to my lower back (for lumbar 4&5 vertabraes). My long term disability kicked in on 09/04/2007. By law the company is suppose to keep me on file to protect my employee rights (senority,insurance my job position, etc.) for 18 months (1 and a 1/2 years). Andrew in human resources department decided to take upon himself to remove me from my employee status with the company. In doing so this cancelled my medical insurance and left me hanging without insurance. I was with kaiser Permenante and have to do a pro-time blood test at least 3 times a month to make sure my blood does not get too thick and clog my new mechanical aortic valve which could cause severe medical problems. Since I could not do my blood tests for the entire month of February my health condition has become worse. My health and healing period has been put in jepardy. My pro-time results has dropped from 3.5 to 1.4 putting me in jepardy of clogging my new valve. Without constant health care for my condition I am put at risk of having another heart attack causing other ill conditions. Because of Andrews actions the companies benefit center cancelled my coverage without notice. So now this has lengthened my recovery time to at least 6 months. I am on medicare but Andrew has cost me my return to work with my same position and senority place plus my benefits for me and my family. I was paying my premiums as requested on time. Now I have no recourse to return to my employee status I had before Andrew terminated me prematurely. What can I do to rectify my position.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
By law the company is suppose to keep me on file to protect my employee rights (senority,insurance my job position, etc.) for 18 months (1 and a 1/2 years).

There is no such law, either Federal or state. Under Federal law, the LONGEST your employer is required to hold your job is 12 WEEKS. Colorado has no law that extends this. NO state requires an employer to hold your job for a year and a half.

Are you part of a union? Are you by any chance mistaking a contract provision for a law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">