• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early lease termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaet

What is the name of your state? Illinois - Chicago

Is it possible to get out of your apartment lease by moving out of state? In Colorado you can move out of state and not be responsible for the remainder of any apartment lease, Ive been told. Are the laws like that in Illinois? How can I find out for sure?

Does anyone know how I should go about addressing this with my landlord?

Thanks!

treese

Never heard of such a law in Colorado or any other state, unless you are in the military.

If you want out of your lease early due to moving out of state, you are going to have to negotiate with your landlord.

Legally, the LL can charge you any break lease fee or penalty addressed within your lease, as well as advertising costs, agent or finder's fees, rent until the apartment is re-rented, all costs to bring the apartment back to original condition, damages ... etc.

If you really want out, make him an offer of cash to let you out. Get whatever agreement you may come to in writing to protect yourself.

shaet

Property Manager lost original lease

Can you negotiate out of a remainder of a lease if the property management company has lost the original lease?

longneck

you're thinking about this the wrong way. you and the LL can do anything either of you want, including releasing your from your release with absolutely no penalty. there are only 2 restrictions: 1) both of you have to agree, and 2) the agreement can't be contrary to the law (i.e., you can't agree to kill someone, etc.). whatever you can use as a bargaining chip, you can use to your advantage. if they don't have a copy of your lease, you can try and work that to advantage.

just make sure that whatever agreement you get, get it in writing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">