• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early pregancies / failed protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penelope10

Wasn't there a story recently on t.v. in regards to a town that had a rash of teen pregnancies among a certain group of girls? (And the high school conveniently provided daycare for the the babies of these kiddos).

When I went to High School (and I'm really aging myself) there was one girl that went to school with us and was pregnant. She was married prior to becoming pregnant our Senior Year. She was allowed to continue at my high school and to go through commencement ceremonies.

Several of the girls I went to school got pregnant and were not married. (One of which was only 13 years of age) They went to a special school through the district that offered a fast track to getting a high school diploma (plus vocational training if they so desired). After giving birth, they were allowed to come and visit at the school , and also to bring their babies. The visits back to my school after that first one generally were not continued. And I don't remember any of these girls ever re enrolling at my High School after having their babies.

Just reflects how different are the times now. It was really a sad situation for most of those girls back then. Now it seems the pendulum has swung in almost the complete opposite direction in a lot of communities. Perhaps education may or may not be the answer to the trend......

Last edited:

BL

I don't know , but I believe some schools offer it , as it seems a common problem .

I can't pinpoint the article .

It's to provide an education .

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Wasn't there a story recently on t.v. in regards to a town that had a rash of teen pregnancies among a certain group of girls? (And the high school conveniently provided daycare for the the babies of these kiddos).

<snip, snap, snup>

Just reflects how different are the times now. It was really a sad situation for most of those girls back then. Now it seems the pendulum has swung in almost the complete opposite direction in a lot of communities. Perhaps education may or may not be the answer to the trend......
It was a school in Massachusetts.
" A Massachusetts high school is facing a pregnancy boom with 17 girls entering summer vacation expecting babies in what some have called a pregnancy pact.

Officials at Gloucester High School in Gloucester, Mass., are investigating whether half of the teens made a pact to get pregnant during the school year, Time.com reported.

Officials said that beginning last fall a large group of girls started asking the school clinic for pregnancy tests, the site said."
FOXNews.com - Massachusetts High School Faces Pregnancy Boom - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Different times for sure. If you got pregnant in this part of Bama 20+ years ago, they sent you to the unwed mothers' home in Bham unless the boy married you.

BL

" A Massachusetts high school is facing a pregnancy boom with 17 girls entering summer vacation expecting babies in what some have called a pregnancy pact.

Officials at Gloucester High School in Gloucester, Mass., are investigating whether half of the teens made a pact to get pregnant during the school year, Time.com reported.

Officials said that beginning last fall a large group of girls started asking the school clinic for pregnancy tests, the site said."
FOXNews.com - Massachusetts High School Faces Pregnancy Boom - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Different times for sure. If you got pregnant in this part of Bama 20+ years ago, they sent you to the unwed mothers' home in Bham unless the boy married you.

Times sure have changed .... with the fall out rates and new times of helping out .. especially in inter citites .

But the counties get their fare share as well .

I remember the time local police riding around with females , and yes in wayne county .

You wouldn't see the patrol car for hours .

Last edited:

wnbama

I have to disagree with you on this one, I went to school in Bham 20+ years ago. We had a few girls get pregnant, one of the girls was only 14yo when it happen. She had the baby close to the end of the school year and returned the very next year to finish school with the rest us the next few years.. Nobody HAD to marry anyone, or atleast at my school it wasn't that way.

BTW: What was the name of the unwed mothers' home in Bham I"ve never heard of it?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I have to disagree with you on this one, I went to school in Bham 20+ years ago. We had a few girls get pregnant, one of the girls was only 14yo when it happen. She had the baby close to the end of the school year and returned the very next year to finish school with the rest us the next few years.. Nobody HAD to marry anyone, or atleast at my school it wasn't that way.

BTW: What was the name of the unwed mothers' home in Bham I"ve never heard of it?
Yeppers, it's the Salvation Army Home over off Crestwood. I know a woman my age who spent time there as a young teen. Of course, things have changed there in the +25 years since she was there...
Youth Services ::Birmingham Salvation Army::

There's another one listed in this pdf file here:
http://www.nurturingnetwork.org/National Maternity Home UPDATED 2-1-08.pdf:

wnbama

Yeppers, it's the Salvation Army Home over off Crestwood. I know a woman my age who spent time there as a young teen. Of course, things have changed there in the +25 years since she was there...
Youth Services ::Birmingham Salvation Army::

There's another one listed in this pdf file here:
http://www.nurturingnetwork.org/National Maternity Home UPDATED 2-1-08.pdf:
WOW.. I never knew about them...

Did you know that DHR has services avail for unmarried parents? I came across it in my research.

660-5-23-.01 Definition Of Services To Unmarried Parents And_Their Children. Casework and counseling for unmarried mothers and alleged fathers, inclusive of planning for themselves and the child and assisting with securing and/or arranging for living arrangements, medical care and hospitalization. The Department of Human Resources has responsibility to provide services to unmarried parents and their children when needed. Certain licensed voluntary agencies provide these services also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">