• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early termination of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mollyord

Here's my situation: I live in Texas. I signed a lease with 3 other people, which ends in March. 2 of my roommates began to abuse my sister and I emotionally to make us leave so that they could have the place to themselves (paying only half), and we were forced to move out. I cannot prove that they were abusive, it's our word against theirs (although they were also abusive to my parents and boyfriend, who are witnesses).
I would like to know if I am legally able to terminate the lease without all of my roommates' agreement. (They would have to sign a new lease or move out). If not, what are the consequences if I refuse to continue paying rent? Will my roommates become responsible for the entire rent? What actions could be taken against me?

Thanks for your help!!

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Unless lease gives you the right, you can't terminate just for yourself. Your prospective liability may be joint or joint and several.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">