• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early Termination Of Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

Yolanda2002

What is the name of your state? PA

I have plead guilty to a Felony in PA of theft and mail fraud (Class D & Class C felonies). The sentence is 5yrs probation, 6mths of which was on house arrest. I have some questions. The crime occured in 1995, and it took the State until 2000 to file charges. If the crime occured in 7/1995 and I was arraigned on 11/2000, is that a statute violation?
Anyways, I want to know how successful I may be in getting released from the remainder of my sentence. I have had no issues with current Probation Office and this was a first and only offense. In addition, I am getting mixed information about getting a record expunged. The US Atty of the Eastern District of PA brought the charges. If I can apply to get it expunged, how long do I have to wait after I am successful in getting the sentence terminated early?

Thank you for your assistance.

Y

Yolanda2002

good behavior-- after 1year of probation, you can apply to have the rest of it removed. The obstacles would be the prosecuting attorney objecting or the P.O. stating you needed further supervision for whatever reason. But you have to go before the same judge that sentenced you, and that may or may not help.

Y

Yolanda2002

Thanks for the advice stephen. Next time just keep your smart rude comments to yourself. My purpose for posting the situation was to hopefully elicit a response from someone who had some experience in my situation, obviously not you.

Have a blessed day.

stephenk

You can apply immediately after your sentence is completed. However, just because you apply doesnt mean it will get granted. You need to show evidence that you have changed your life around and are leading a law abiding life.

Since your original question was basically asking everyone on this board to guess what a judge will do if you apply for early termination without knowing all the information that you would be presenting to the judge, again my orginal question still stands = What would be the reason for the sentence to be reduced?

If your answer is, "Well I completed one year of a 5 year probation sentence", the court will most likely deny your request. You only completed 20% of your probation term.

You are right in one respect, I have never had the experience of being on probation, but I have helped put people on probation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">