• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earned Income Credit (EIC)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mimi3311

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Please share your knowledge, I am confused if I qualify for EIC or not.

:::My questions is::: Is there the minimum amount I have to earn for 2010 to qualify for EIC?
<It says "your adjusted gross income must be less than $......on IRS rule. But I don't see like "your adjusted gross income must be more than $**************.>

Screening test in IRS office -> I qualify for EIC.
Turbo Tax online -> I qualify for EIC.
H&R Block online -> I don't qualify, my income has to be more than $3,000. But as I continued the proccess, it says I qualify for EIC in the result.
Represenative of IRS who assists me to prepare taxes says I don't qualify, because my income is too small. ( My income is $ 1,600 )

This makes completely opposite result to me, whether owe or refund.

Thank you very much for your time and help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

On the surface, it appears you qualify for a few hundred dollars.
On the surface I would agree. However other factors could come into play that would make the OP ineligible for EIC.

The OP is obviously not supporting any children on 1600.00 a year. Therefore the source of the children's support could possibly make the OP ineligible for EIC.

mimi3311

Thank you very much for your time and sharing your knowledge.
I will ask a couple more different IRS representatives and will decide whether calim EIC or not.

This is my very first time to file my own taxes and very nervous, I don't want to get into any trouble because " I just didn't know ".

BTW, What does " OP " mean ? Sorry, ridiculous question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">