• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earned Vacation Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miscyn57

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I work for a company based in North Carolina. I have given my resignation and have "earned vacation" time that appears on my paycheck (accrued per month) each payday. Am I entitled to that since it is considered "earned"?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am assuming from the way you worded the question that while your employer is based out of NC, you live and work in Alabama.

If that is the case, no, you are not "entitled" to it, regardless of whether it is considered earned or not. Alabama law applies to you, not North Carolina law, and Alabama simply does not require the payout of unused vacation. An employer may do so if they wish, but no law obligates them to.

BTW, North Carolina does not require the unconditional payout of unused vacation either; NC law requires the payout of unused vacation UNLESS there is a written company policy that describes the terms of the forfeiture. However, unless you physically live and work in North Carolina, their law is as irrelevant to your situation as North Dakota's.

Only the law of the state in which you live and work applies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">