• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement proof ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheekibreeki

Hey I live in North Carolina And there a lot of lines running across my property I just wanted to know if a utility company needs proof of an easement or can the power company Just say there is one there and not provide proof.

HRZ

IF there are a lot of lines there the odds favor an easement exists someplace ...and utility lines may have broad easements of necessity . I'm not saying it's absolute ...I've had neighbors discover a line pole in totally wrong place and underground lines in totally wrong or unpermitted locations ...and I worked for a power firm which purchased a small operation with totally screwed up and missing records ...and some lines strung literally with Coke bottles as insulators !!

You can demand proof...but odds favor it's there someplace.

FarmerJ

Cheeki many utility companies learned long ago to help each other out by having easements worded in such a way that they are able to share with each other SO when that electric company came along they were able to use the same poles - easements that telephone co had in place and same way with electric companies if they were there first and had easement then later the catv co and others could use same routes ( in areas with competing services its possible that the CATV company has one set underground and a broadband- digital tv & phone service has another set and the old traditional former bell are all with in X number of feet of each other and then could there be a natural gas line in there too ?

adjusterjack

The original plats will often say "Public Utility Easement" and show the dimensions. That goes for any utility company and eliminates the need for utility companies to "help each other out."

TigerD

What are you going to do about the existing power lines if there isn't an easement recorded?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">