• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eBay by Proxy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebaypowerseller

I do not know if this is the most appropriate section for this thread so please feel free to move it, if necessary.

I was on eBay for about six years and started selling at the end of 2013. Within my first 90 days, I sold 80 items with gross sales of $5000. All the items up for sale were personally obtained or purchased items for which my wife and I had no further need. Some items were used and some were never used or worn. eBay sent me an email stating, in short, that I was selling at a higher than normal rate and had to validate from where I received my products (distributors, etc.). I advised them that all the items were accumulated over the course of my 15+ year technical career and my 7+ year marriage but they were not listening and subsequently yanked my seller privileges.

I could have taken the underhanded roll and tried to create stealth accounts but I would like to stay above board. I would like to get a friend's or family member's permission and use his or her eBay account to sell our items. I do not want nor do I believe I need access to any accounts such as PayPal. I anticipate splitting the profits with my friend or family member amicably.

My question is three-fold:
- Is this something I can do legally?
- If so, and since the other person is under no obligation to split any sale proceeds with me, should I have a contract?
- If so, should I have an attorney draw up the contract or can I draw up the contract on my own and have it notarized?

quincy

I do not know if this is the most appropriate section for this thread so please feel free to move it, if necessary.

I was on eBay for about six years and started selling at the end of 2013. Within my first 90 days, I sold 80 items with gross sales of $5000. All the items up for sale were personally obtained or purchased items for which my wife and I had no further need. Some items were used and some were never used or worn. eBay sent me an email stating, in short, that I was selling at a higher than normal rate and had to validate from where I received my products (distributors, etc.). I advised them that all the items were accumulated over the course of my 15+ year technical career and my 7+ year marriage but they were not listening and subsequently yanked my seller privileges.

I could have taken the underhanded roll and tried to create stealth accounts but I would like to stay above board. I would like to get a friend's or family member's permission and use his or her eBay account to sell our items. I do not want nor do I believe I need access to any accounts such as PayPal. I anticipate splitting the profits with my friend or family member amicably.

My question is three-fold:
- Is this something I can do legally?
- If so, and since the other person is under no obligation to split any sale proceeds with me, should I have a contract?
- If so, should I have an attorney draw up the contract or can I draw up the contract on my own and have it notarized?
What is the name of your state?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If you do so, you will be in violation of eBay policies.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

quincy

You may want to consider selling your items in some other way, rather than trying to circumvent eBay policies.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Using other accounts to circumvent eBay's limits on your account will get all the accounts involved banned. :cool:

quincy

Maybe a yard/garage sale?
Or a consignment shop.

There are faster and easier ways to get rid of unwanted items than selling them one-at-a-time on eBay.

As eBay did, I would question ebaypowerseller's selling of "never used or worn" items if there were several such items being sold.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">