• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ecording and publishing speech at public event

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jarek

I am going to attend a publicly advertised event held by a non-profit organization in its office in Chicago, IL (The speaker will be talking about living trusts, wills, etc...).
Can I legally record entire speech and post it online as a free podcast without permission from the organization or the speaker?
If not what document(s) I need to secure to be able to legally do it?

Thank you

FlyingRon

In a word, no.

While the act of delivering the speech is not a copyright issue, pretty good leeway is given to the speech writer. All it takes is that he has written the speech down prior to delivering it. There are other ways it can be "fixed" in tangible form that would make your recordiong NOT public domain.

You need permission from the rights holder which is usually the speaker. It's possible however that the rights are with the organization, but I'd approach the speaker first.

jarek

FlyingRon,

Thank you for the advice, just received email from the organization saying that generally they do not allow any types of recordings. In this case I'd need to obtain written permissions from the rights holder and the organization itself. Is email correspondence sufficient in this case or should I obtained it in writing?

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">