• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Effect of moving on support order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainingfrogs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I'm moving out of state within a month. Currently, spousal support is being collected through a support order and comes to me directly from my ex's employer. Can I just send them a change of address, or do I have to resubmit the order, or do something else official to change the address my checks are sent to?

Thanks for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rainingfrogs said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I'm moving out of state within a month. Currently, spousal support is being collected through a support order and comes to me directly from my ex's employer. Can I just send them a change of address, or do I have to resubmit the order, or do something else official to change the address my checks are sent to?

Thanks for your help.

My response:

The obligee is required to provide notice of a change of address within a "reasonable period of time" after the change. Ordinarily, the notice must be given to the obligor's employer (by postage prepaid first-class mail). [Ca Fam § 5237(a)]

IAAL

rainingfrogs

Thanks, IAAL. One more related question while I think about it:

The payment agreement that was drawn up (this was after my ex had gone underground for a time and was later ferreted out) specified a mixture of spousal support, child support and back child support to be paid over a period of years. The total amount per month remains steady while the percentages of spousal/child/arrears change from time to time. When one of these changes occurs--say, when the child in question turns 18--does the support order need to be refiled to reflect the current apportionment, or can it just be left as-is since the total amount it adds up to will remain the same anyway?

If I need to refile something, I need to take care of it now, before I leave the area. Also, if such a refiling is needed, is it something I can do myself or do I need to involve an attorney? I was surprised to discover recently that mine has retired.

Thanks again for your input.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rainingfrogs said:
Thanks, IAAL. One more related question while I think about it:

The payment agreement that was drawn up (this was after my ex had gone underground for a time and was later ferreted out) specified a mixture of spousal support, child support and back child support to be paid over a period of years. The total amount per month remains steady while the percentages of spousal/child/arrears change from time to time. When one of these changes occurs--say, when the child in question turns 18--does the support order need to be refiled to reflect the current apportionment, or can it just be left as-is since the total amount it adds up to will remain the same anyway?

If I need to refile something, I need to take care of it now, before I leave the area. Also, if such a refiling is needed, is it something I can do myself or do I need to involve an attorney? I was surprised to discover recently that mine has retired.

Thanks again for your input.

My response:

Unless something "needs" to be changed, then nothing needs to be filed. Child support, for example, terminates by operation of law on a specific date; e.g., age 18, or if still in high school, no later than age 19. Therefore, it is unnecessary to file an OSC.

As an attorney, I cannot advocate pro se filings.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">