• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Effect on NY Driver's License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLim0766

What is the name of your state? New York

I currently have a Connecticut driver's license. So far I've lived in CT and now I am in the process of moving to Syracuse, NY. I got a DUI in CT... arrested in Dec 2017. I did eventually plead guilty and was convicted in March 2018 (first offense). Had a 30 day CT license suspension. Currently, my CT license has been fully restored but I have an IID installed in my vehicle which I need to maintain for 1 year. I have paid my fines, completed the court ordered alcohol treatment program and completed the court mandated community service. I am currently under probation in CT for 18 months. I accepted a job offer in Syracuse, NY and my probation officer is fine with me moving to NY and he has done the paperwork to facilitate that. While in NY, I will be monitored by the CT Administrative Supervision Unit.
However, now that I am going to be in NY, I believe I will need to get a NY driver's license. So, my questions are: Will I face any issues obtaining a NY driver's license? If I face any issues with NY license, is there any way I can still maintain my CT license while living in NY? Any other recourse?
Thanks in advance!

adjusterjack

I believe I will need to get a NY driver's license.
You will. And you will need to register and title your car there, too.

is there any way I can still maintain my CT license while living in NY?
No.

You have 90 days to comply. Period.

• Definition of Resident per Section 250 (5) of the NY State Vehicle and Traffic Law: "As used in this section, the term 'resident' shall mean domiciliary, that is, one who lives in this state with the intention of making it a fixed and permanent abode. It shall be presumptive evidence that a person who maintains a place of abode in this state for a period of at least ninety days is a resident of this state."
By the way, after you complete the move, make sure you notify CT in writing, properly, of the relocation and changes in registration and license and keep the documentation in a permanent file. CT is notorious for going after people for back vehicle taxes 10 - 15 years later after the interest has piled up.

DLim0766

Thank you very much Zigner and adjusterjack for your responses. Couple of follow up questions:

1. Before calling/going to NY-DMV (so far could not find any specific answers on their web site), I was hoping if someone here could tell me, given my background, if NY-DMV can refuse to issue me a NY driver's license and for what duration and what conditions?

2. If obtaining NY driver's license becomes extremely difficult then what if I maintain a rental residence in CT till I become eligible for a NY license? Will I be able to maintain my CT license then?

Just trying to find out my options.

Thanks again

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You will be a New York resident. Period. Maintaining another apartment in any other state doesn't count.

HighwayMan

A conviction for a first-time DWI in NY carries a penalty of a mandatory 6-month revocation of your license.

I am GUESSING that the same would apply to you when trying to obtain a NY license even though the conviction was out-of-state. I am also GUESSING that you might be eligible for a conditional license which would allow you to drive in extremely limited circumstances.

If you do get a conditional license you'd better read all of the paperwork very carefully. But worry about that if and when you get there.

NY DMV is leaps and bounds ahead of CT. Go to any DMV office in person and speak to someone.

In the meantime you can go to the website and get all of the forms that you need to apply for a NY license. There may be useful information contained in the included instructions.

HighwayMan

By the way, after you complete the move, make sure you notify CT in writing, properly, of the relocation and changes in registration and license and keep the documentation in a permanent file. CT is notorious for going after people for back vehicle taxes 10 - 15 years later after the interest has piled up.
If I was you I would go to my town/city tax collector and find out in advance what their procedure is for notification under your circumstances.

Of course, as Jack said, keep copies of all the NY DMV documents/license/registration showing when you transferred everything over.

xylene

You could surrender your license, not drive for a few years and then get a new license, retesting and the like. It is a viable plan.

Also, not convinced NY wouldn't supervise.

You should have an attorney involved. It is DWI not DIY.

HighwayMan

You should have an attorney involved. It is DWI not DIY.
I'm not sure there would be any value added in getting an attorney involved at this point since the criminal case in Connecticut is over and done with.

It's really all about administrative issues with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">