• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EIN confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pipan

What is the name of your state? TX

Hi

Last year I registered an LLC in Wyoming and this year I registered another LLC with the exact same name in Texas (basically the companies are completely independent from each other). Lat year for the WY company I had got an EIN, and just shortly ago I wanted to get an EIN for the TX business on IRS website. The IRS website gave an error and prompted me to call IRS.
I talked to this super nice IRS lady, who put me on hold for 5-6 times, each time for 5 minutes, and she was saying that me as the owner of the businesses could use the same EIN. This seemed to be wrong to me, because I neither registered the second company as a Foreign LLC in Texas, nor did I transform the business from WY to TX.
Eventually when she saw I was insisting this doesn't seems to be correct, and after a few other holds told me in that case I should either fax the EIN application form or mail it to IRS, which can take up to 4 weeks to receive the EIN.

Could I really use the same EIN for both businesses?

Thanks.

quincy

What is the name of your state? TX

Hi

Last year I registered an LLC in Wyoming and this year I registered another LLC with the exact same name in Texas (basically the companies are completely independent from each other). Lat year for the WY company I had got an EIN, and just shortly ago I wanted to get an EIN for the TX business on IRS website. The IRS website gave an error and prompted me to call IRS.
I talked to this super nice IRS lady, who put me on hold for 5-6 times, each time for 5 minutes, and she was saying that me as the owner of the businesses could use the same EIN. This seemed to be wrong to me, because I neither registered the second company as a Foreign LLC in Texas, nor did I transform the business from WY to TX.
Eventually when she saw I was insisting this doesn't seems to be correct, and after a few other holds told me in that case I should either fax the EIN application form or mail it to IRS, which can take up to 4 weeks to receive the EIN.

Thanks.
This is what the IRS has to say:
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/do-you-need-a-new-ein

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not sure that this is what the OP is asking...

The OP has two entities doing business in two different states that he wishes to use the same name for. Like "Bob's Car Wash" in Wyoming and "Bob's Car Wash" in Texas. Same name, but different entities owned by the same person.

Pipan - you wish to consider appending something to the name...like "Bob's Car Wash of Wyoming" in order to avoid confusion.

quincy

I'm not sure that this is what the OP is asking...

The OP has two entities doing business in two different states that he wishes to use the same name for. Like "Bob's Car Wash" in Wyoming and "Bob's Car Wash" in Texas. Same name, but different entities owned by the same person.

Pipan - you wish to consider appending something to the name...like "Bob's Car Wash of Wyoming" in order to avoid confusion.
I think the link I provided addresses his question.

But I could be wrong. For years I have paid to not have to mess with any sort of tax stuff. :)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Thanks.
Yes, you could, assuming that you did not elect for either LLC to be treated as a corporation and assuming you are the sole owner of each. If those assumptions are correct, then for most federal tax purposes those LLCs are ignored and you are considered to be the direct owner of the businesses, just as if they are sole proprietorships. So from the IRS perspective these are both just sole proprietorships of yours. That being the case you wouldn't need an EIN at all unless you have employees, administer certain pension plans, or have a need to file federal excise tax returns. Whether you might find it useful to have separate EINs for other purposes is a different matter that the IRS will not address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">