• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

elder abuse by sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sambini

What is the name of your state?TN
My mom has had me served with an order of protection. Everything behind this is a mess of lies. My sister & brother have been coercing mom & convincing her that she needs to be afraid of me although I have her on tape several times saying that she is not afraid of me & she knows I would not hurt her. I have tried the elder abuse route but they dropped it as soon as they talked to mom & she said she was not being coerced. I have asked for family mediation to work things out but my siblings will have no part of this. How can I fight this order of protection? Someone mentioned filing an opposition to it? Can anyone fill me in on this idea? We will be speaking with attorneys this week but I am trying to get educated on our options first.

Thanks!

seniorjudge

If mom is competent and is not being coerced, then she may be irritated with you for some reason. Thus, the restraining order.

Under such circumstances, it is hard to fight such an order.

sambini

Unfortunately she is being coerced. Mom will tell me that she is not afraid of me & then after my sister talks to her, the tune changes & she is afraid. Mom has been threatened by my sister that she will be left alone with noone to care for her if mom gives in to any of my requests. All I want is for us all to meet under mediation to work things out &/or have a third party handle mom's affairs since us siblings don't trust each other. Since a lot of stuff is their word against mine, I am not sure how thsi will hold up in court. Although, I do have some tape recordings of mom telling me these things.

We'll see how this all works out. Thanks for your response.

gwammaof2

Elder abuse and fraud

This happened in our family situation also. Mother complained to us, when we tried to help - the abuser (also caregiver) coerced her into saying not to do anything she had changed her mind. How about gaining guardianship very quickly? Protect the elder one, no one else steps in to protect, from my experience. We are still trying to convince the sheriff that elder abuse and fraud hapened to this poor soul. Give them the money and try to get guardianship to save her and quickly!

BlondiePB

sambini said:
Will definetly look into guardianship. It is so sad for mom to be in the middle of this. Thanks!
Your mother has to be found incompetent to have a guardian appointed.

sambini

I just found that out after talking to a lawyer today. Mom is coerced & manipulated but not incompetent. Two lawyers informed us that in the county we live in, they give out orders of protection like candy & you do not have to have much evidence for it to go through. Both lawyers said that it is difficult to win any order of protection case in this county, but of course, we have to fight it. It is my mom's/sister's word (or lie) against mine since noone was there but me & my mom. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

seniorjudge

sambini said:
I just found that out after talking to a lawyer today. Mom is coerced & manipulated but not incompetent. Two lawyers informed us that in the county we live in, they give out orders of protection like candy & you do not have to have much evidence for it to go through. Both lawyers said that it is difficult to win any order of protection case in this county, but of course, we have to fight it. It is my mom's/sister's word (or lie) against mine since noone was there but me & my mom. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!
I think you have summed up your situation fully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">