• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

email address usage after termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dogmanar

I live in Arkansas and I have an issue, can a former employer still have my email address active and still be sending and receiving mail to that email address without my consent. I know the actual "mail box" is the company's but since I no longer work there do they have the right to keep it active?

X

Xjudge

It belongs to the company, they can do as they wish with it.

D

dogmanar

So, using my name to receive and send emails, wouldn't that be the same as using my name to falsely send and receive regular "snail mail" to their address in my name. I'm not just talking about the "mailbox", but the use of my name on that "mailbox"

X

Xjudge

Unethical yes, illegal no. If possible, you may wish to email those replying to that email address and let them know you no longer are the person using it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">