• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Email laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cai6978

What is the name of your state? Oregon

What is the best response to this
The purpose of this letter is to advise you that unless you can demonstrate to our satisfaction that you have completely erased and destroyed all vestiges of the emails you sent on the 13th to your personal email, as well as any others sent to your personal email, we intend to bring an action against you in Circuit Court for a temporary restraining order and damages as a result of those activities.

Anything used through my personal email was due to the work place email being down and the vast majority was used at the direction of my supervisor. I have already removed anything work related upon separation.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Oregon

What is the best response to this
The purpose of this letter is to advise you that unless you can demonstrate to our satisfaction that you have completely erased and destroyed all vestiges of the emails you sent on the 13th to your personal email, as well as any others sent to your personal email, we intend to bring an action against you in Circuit Court for a temporary restraining order and damages as a result of those activities.

Anything used through my personal email was due to the work place email being down and the vast majority was used at the direction of my supervisor. I have already removed anything work related upon separation.
Was this letter sent from your employer/former employer or your employer/former employer's legal department or attorney?

If you used your personal email account to conduct company business, the company is within their rights to demand deletion of business-related emails, this especially if information that could be viewed as trade secrets was communicated.

Your response? Tell them you complied with their request and erased or destroyed all emails related to company business (if true). If they demand access to your personal email account or access to your personal computer, contact an attorney in your area.

Did you use your personal computer/personal email or a company-owned computer/personal email?

Here is a link to Oregon's Employee social media account privacy law (2017):
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/659A.330

Last edited:

cai6978

Was this letter sent from your employer/former employer or your employer/former employer's legal department or attorney?

If you used your personal email account to conduct company business, the company is within their rights to demand deletion of business-related emails, this especially if information that could be viewed as trade secrets was communicated.

Your response? Tell them you complied with their request and erased or destroyed all emails related to company business (if true). If they demand access to your personal email account or access to your personal computer, contact an attorney in your area.

Did you use your personal computer/personal email or a company-owned computer/personal email?

Here is a link to Oregon's Employee social media account privacy law (2017):
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/659A.330

I used the company computer, I had issues accessing the work email at times and needed access to the emails at the time to do my work and refer back to so I forwarded them to myself. With the work email giving me issues which they were aware of I needed a way to ensure access. All related items have been discarded upon separation as I no longer needed the items to perform any duties related to the employment.

quincy

I used the company computer, I had issues accessing the work email at times and needed access to the emails at the time to do my work and refer back to so I forwarded them to myself. With the work email giving me issues which they were aware of I needed a way to ensure access. All related items have been discarded upon separation as I no longer needed the items to perform any duties related to the employment.
Thank you for answering my question.

You can inform your company that you deleted all company-related emails from your personal account. If the company wants to access your personal email account for proof that you did not retain any company data, you should consult with an attorney in your area.

There are privacy laws that can protect access to your private account (to an extent).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">