• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

email privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peeowed

What is the name of your state?
pennsylvania
I recently found out that my previous employer somehow has the password to my personal email account. They check it regularly. I Have friends still at the company. A few weeks ago one of my friends was fired and we believe it was because of what was written in the email. Of course, changing my password might keep them out but I feel that they have completely disregarded my privacy rights. They know everything that has been going on in my life since I left the company over six months ago, not to mention they have fired my one friend and they know certain things about another that still works there. Is there anything legally that I can do about this?

I’m sure you will ask if I can prove this. The answer: no. I absolutely know that they are checking it however. There are too many things that they know that they could only possibly get from reading my email. Now it is at the point where they read the email before I do. Sure I can change the password, but I think they should be reported at least to someone. Sued at best. Any thoughts?

HomeGuru

peeowed said:
What is the name of your state?
pennsylvania
I recently found out that my previous employer somehow has the password to my personal email account. They check it regularly. I Have friends still at the company. A few weeks ago one of my friends was fired and we believe it was because of what was written in the email. Of course, changing my password might keep them out but I feel that they have completely disregarded my privacy rights. They know everything that has been going on in my life since I left the company over six months ago, not to mention they have fired my one friend and they know certain things about another that still works there. Is there anything legally that I can do about this?

I’m sure you will ask if I can prove this. The answer: no. I absolutely know that they are checking it however. There are too many things that they know that they could only possibly get from reading my email. Now it is at the point where they read the email before I do. Sure I can change the password, but I think they should be reported at least to someone. Sued at best. Any thoughts?
**A: move on.

H

hexeliebe

Let me guess. This was a 'personal' e-mail account given to you by your employer. This is the e-mail account you used at work, not an e-mail account such as Yahoo that you use at home?

Well guess what, the advice you got was the only LEGAL advice you will get because it's all that is applicable to your situation.

You do not own the e-mail account. Your former employer does. And unless you work for the CIA or NSA, even if this is an account that you had long before you worked for this company, the only way they could have gotten the password would be if you used the account to access "PRIVATE" e-mail on company time.

You have no case. Move on.

P

peeowed

sorry to inform you, but this account is a personal account from yahoo. i have had it for approximately 7 years. i don't know how they got the password.
this company is very small , 6 employees, and they are extremely unethical. don't sit there and judge me. knowing this is there someone i can report them to other than yahoo?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I DAMN THEE!

peeowed said:
don't sit there and judge me.

====================================

My response:

May I have your permission to judge you? Some say I'm particularly good at it, and it's been more than a few hours since my last "judging" - - I'm starting to {{{shake}}}

IAAL

H

hexeliebe

I do have an answer for you, but since you are a total ass without a clue what is and isn't permissable employee behavior or anything about Employment law.............................................................SCREW YOU!

HomeGuru

peeowed said:
sorry to inform you, but this account is a personal account from yahoo. i have had it for approximately 7 years. i don't know how they got the password.
this company is very small , 6 employees, and they are extremely unethical. don't sit there and judge me.

**A: can I stand and judge you then?

knowing this is there someone i can report them to other than yahoo?

**A: yes, report them to yeehaw.

Last edited:
P

peeowed

wow. you guys really like to pick on people. enjoy your day doing so.

I

IslandGuy

My question is how did they get your password?

I can't see how you are going to do anything about this unlees you can get someone in the comapny to testify that the company was viewing your private email.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

IslandGuy said:
My question is how did they get your password?

I can't see how you are going to do anything about this unlees you can get someone in the comapny to testify that the comapny was viewing your private email.
**A: the word is spelled company even on an island guy.

A

advicesucks

many companies use keylogger software so they can figure out your password from the keystrokes you enter on the computer...

As others have said, move on. But first you should CHANGE YOUR YAHOO PASSWORD...its not that hard is it???

Perhaps the company isnt reading the mail in your email account, but in the accounts of the friends you are sending it to? Wouldnt you know that your mail has been read since it would not appear as "new" in Yahoo mail?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">