• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emanate Domain??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fragile1756

New Hampshire

We have had an exsisting fence for the past 12 years. A neighbor who just bought the house next door, wants us to remove this fence. It is on his property, but since it has been up for 12 years I was told that emanate domain comes into play. And that we can not be forced to take our fence down. Is this true? How can I learn more about this?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Fragile1756 said:
New Hampshire

We have had an exsisting fence for the past 12 years. A neighbor who just bought the house next door, wants us to remove this fence. It is on his property, but since it has been up for 12 years I was told that emanate domain comes into play. And that we can not be forced to take our fence down. Is this true? How can I learn more about this?

My response:

No. "Eminent Domain" are laws made for governmental entities; e.g., State, County, Town, etc. - - it is not a "right" for private citizens.

Your neighbor may have a cause of action for "Trespass to Land" and/or "Quiet Title to Land" - - assuming, of course, that you don't have a right to the land via "adverse possession."

See your local real property attorney for further details and advice.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">