• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation at 16 years old, Louisiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daisyjames09

I am 16 years old and I will be graduated this month from an online high school. I have been staying with my sister in Germany for three months but my visa will be up in January which means i have to go back to living with my mother in Louisiana.
My mother hardly was ever home because she works in Texas and she would leave me in the care of my step dad who mainly sat on the play station instead of actually taking care of me. when she was home she could be emotionally and occasionally physically abusive as would he. he has slammed my arm in a door and laughed about it and she has threatened to beat to the point she would go to jail and has left me with a black eye and other bruises in the past. My mothers house is unhealthy to live in because it is filthy with fleas to the point where i would get bit by them when ever i went to lay in my bed. she is also a hoarder. there are rooms in her house that you cant even walk through because it is so cluttered.

I was going to get emancipated since i will be graduated but now my mother said she will not sign the papers for it. What is the process to getting emancipated without your parents permission under these circumstances? and Can i live with another family member as an emancipated minor or would i need to get my own place?

adjusterjack

I was going to get emancipated
Sorry, but every teenage child wants emancipation. The chances of you getting it are slim. The conditions and abuse that you describe are things that Child Protective Services would handle.

But, I suppose, like most teenage children you'd rather dream about emancipation that might not happen until you are 18 instead of calling CPS and getting out of an abusive environment quickly.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am 16 years old and I will be graduated this month from an online high school. I have been staying with my sister in Germany for three months but my visa will be up in January which means i have to go back to living with my mother in Louisiana.
My mother hardly was ever home because she works in Texas and she would leave me in the care of my step dad who mainly sat on the play station instead of actually taking care of me. when she was home she could be emotionally and occasionally physically abusive as would he. he has slammed my arm in a door and laughed about it and she has threatened to beat to the point she would go to jail and has left me with a black eye and other bruises in the past. My mothers house is unhealthy to live in because it is filthy with fleas to the point where i would get bit by them when ever i went to lay in my bed. she is also a hoarder. there are rooms in her house that you cant even walk through because it is so cluttered.

I was going to get emancipated since i will be graduated but now my mother said she will not sign the papers for it. What is the process to getting emancipated without your parents permission under these circumstances? and Can i live with another family member as an emancipated minor or would i need to get my own place?
Perhaps you can either start college early (residential) or enroll in an on campus program for high school aged children taking college classes.

I'm not going to look up what's available, but I know there are such programs.

paddywakk

If she tries to start college early, she should check to ensure they will accept a diploma from her online high school. Many online high schools are just diploma mills.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
First, Daisy, congrats on graduating early, and I hope you've taken advantage of your time in Europe to get out and see the sites.

Second, I can understand why you'd want to get out of your Mom's home. Living in a hoarding condition with fleas would be tough for anyone. However, please note that judge's aren't likely to grant emancipation unless the minor can prove that he or she can completely support themselves. That means rent, utilities, insurance, food, etc. It doesn't include living with someone else who will provide those things.

With the above in mind, if you aren't able to completely provide for yourself, your alternative is to call the Child Protection Agency in your area. If the living conditions are as bad as you say, you'll most likely be removed from the home; probably to be placed in the foster care system.

Are you able to stay with your father? If not, what about a grandparent, aunt/uncle or other sibling? Of course, you'll need Mom's approval to live with anyone else, but it's worth it to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">