• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alilee

I am 16 years old and I recently moved in with my father. Before this I had to live with my aunt for a hear because my mother passed away but I didn’t feel very comfortable where I was and with my aunt so I decided to move in with my father here in NJ. My father hadn’t been a huge part of my life and the only things i had about him in my head were mostly negative but I decided to see if he had changed at all. Long story short he hadn’t changed there were multiple instances where he got into a argument with his girlfriend, he was sometimes drunk and if he was it wasn’t only worse. He’d throw things, not things over, yell and curse at her. One time she even said to me that he was much more mean when I wasn’t here. One specific time they got into a fight his girlfriends son came out and started arguing with my father and they got into it. My father threatened to stab him, got a knife and ended up accidentally cutting his girlfriends hand. There was a little blood and the son called the police multiple times but every time they all denied anything happened and told me not to say anything. My father always talks terribly about my sisters and other side of the family and he won’t admit it but he doesn’t want me around them and kept me from them last summer. This is my reason for wanting an emancipation but seeing as he won’t even allow me to work I’m not sure how that could even happen if I don’t have any income of my own. Is there anything I could do? If somehow I convince him to let me get a job, where should I work and how long would I have to save up before I can go about the whole process?

FlyingRon

The fact that you have a bad or abusive home life is not grounds for emancipation. We don't turn out abused children to fend for themselves, we find alternative placement. There's no "saving up" that will allow you to move out. You must show that you are already able to support yourself (in fact, strong bias that you're already doing so) before it will be considered.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I figured that since the answer in an unequivocal NO, it made more sense just to give it to her and not make her open her own thread, only to then quash her.

Alilee

Right. Aillee's post has now been reported. Reading Senior Judge's post [link to thread at https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/emancipation-help-mn.350795/] should have answered her question before she asked it.
Well I am sorry that I was just trying to get advice and help and did not know I needed to make a new thread or whatever I didn’t know how and quite frankly I don’t care I’m just trying to find out if there are any other, better options

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well I am sorry that I was just trying to get advice and help and did not know I needed to make a new thread or whatever I didn’t know how and quite frankly I don’t care I’m just trying to find out if there are any other, better options
If you are being abused, please report it to a teacher, school counselor, clergy-person, doctor, nurse, etc. They will be able to make a report to the appropriate authorities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">