• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation with death of parent??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Romantico500

I have a family friend who won money as a minor in Puerto Rico. He was told when turned 18 he has to wait until 21 to get settlement or get married. His only parent recently passed away does that emancipate him and allows him to get his settlement now or he still has to wait until 21?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have a family friend who won money as a minor in Puerto Rico. He was told when turned 18 he has to wait until 21 to get settlement or get married. His only parent recently passed away does that emancipate him and allows him to get his settlement now or he still has to wait until 21?
It depends on the terms of the settlement.

LdiJ

Who told him that he had to wait for the money? Was it his parent or someone else? Who controls his money? Was it his parent or someone else?

adjusterjack

The age of majority in Puerto Rico is 21 so it's probably true that he has to wait. The terms of the settlement agreements also count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">