• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetiebaby02v

What is the name of your state?Texas
I recently moved out of my parents home and in with my fiancee. (im 17) When school starts in August i was wondering who is my legal guardian? Are there emancipation laws in Texas and if there are how do i become emancipated? :confused:

Wolflmg

sweetiebaby02v said:
I recently moved out of my parents home and in with my fiancee. (im 17) When school starts in August i was wondering who is my legal guardian? Are there emancipation laws in Texas and if there are how do i become emancipated? :confused:
First off how is is the boyfriend?

In order to become emancipated
You must support yourself 100% (meaning no one can support you in anyways)
You must pay for apartment rent
pay for medical and car insurance
pay for food and clothes
have a full time job
finish highschool
pay for any bill and any other things you need

17 is way too young to be engaged or to even think about getting married, even if you are pregnant that is no reason to get married. Most times when teenagers get married, it doesn't last and it normaly ends in a hateful divorce. Which is something someone as young as you shouldn't go through.

pty

sweetiebaby02v said:
In Texas, the process that you're referring to is called “Removal of Disabilities of Minority”.

In order for this to be approved you have to meet *all* the following requirements:
1) you are living in Texas
2) you are at least 16-years-old
3) you are living separate from your parents/legal guardians
4) you are self-supporting and able to manage your own financial affairs
5) you are able to prove that it is in your best interest

If you are depending upon your boyfriend for (even partial) support, then you wouldn't meet #4 because you’re not *fully* supporting yourself. And #5 is often very hard to prove (especially if your parents contest it). This is not something that a judge approves just because you don't get along with your parents and/or you want to move in with your boyfriend. Of course, I don't know what your home situation was, so maybe you do have a legitimate reason that this would be in your best interest--I'm simply including that information as an fyi.

Last edited:

sweetiebaby02v

ok but..

So this means that i would have to live alone and not with a relative? Because right now i live with my fiancee, i can't go home my parents constantly yell at me that they dont want me there that im in the way and that im a slut. My parents also put something on me to where if i go onto their property then i can be arrested for trespassing. I just want to know who is my legal guardian is it still my parents because when school starts i will need my 'legal guardian' to sign papers what should i do?

Wolflmg

sweetiebaby02v said:
So this means that i would have to live alone and not with a relative? Because right now i live with my fiancee, i can't go home my parents constantly yell at me that they dont want me there that im in the way and that im a slut. My parents also put something on me to where if i go onto their property then i can be arrested for trespassing. I just want to know who is my legal guardian is it still my parents because when school starts i will need my 'legal guardian' to sign papers what should i do?
If your parents stll have legal custody of you then they are your guardians.

pty

sweetiebaby02v said:
My parents also put something on me to where if i go onto their property then i can be arrested for trespassing.
OUCH! But, as Wolflmg said: if your parents still have legal custody of you then they are your guardians. If the relationship with Mom is salvable, then you could call and ask if she would be willing to sign whatever papers you need signed. Another option is to call the school (anonymously if you want) and ask them about it. Unfortunately, I'm sure they've dealt with this issue before.

Wolflmg

Why did you parents put a restraining order agaisnt you? That doesn't seem likely since your still a minor and they are still your legal guardians. If there is no real reason then I might try calling CPS and exsplain your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">