• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bleepbloop43002

What is the name of your state? louisiana
Im a 16 year old girl about to turn 17 in three months. I want to get emancipated because of my home life. Its not necessarily horrible but its not good either. my parents are separated and have joint custody over me. however i cannot be myself at my dads. i also am not allowed to have certain friends depending on race. there is a lot of degrading done towards me there. at my moms i sleep on a couch in the living room with my mom and my brother who sleep on an air mattress. we live at my grandparents house. my grandmother is very verbally abusive towards my mom my brother and i. even her husband. going through this is very stressful. i know it doesnt seem like a lot is wrong with how i live but i really want to get out. i have a place to stay, i know how to support myself financially, and i also will be graduating school next year. i plan on staying in school and the people i intend on going live with are going to help me with that. my only issues are that i dont think my parents will let me get emancipated, and the people im going live with live out of state. how can i get emancipated if my parents wont sign. also, are the laws still going to be the same for me if i get emancipated then move out of state to new york? will i still be able to attend and graduate from high school?

adjusterjack

I want to get emancipated because of my home life.
You and a million other unhappy teenagers.

Not gonna happen.

Stay home, do what you are told, behave yourself, and when you are 18 and know everything, feel free to strike out on your own and make your way in the world.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state? louisiana
Im a 16 year old girl about to turn 17 in three months. I want to get emancipated because of my home life. Its not necessarily horrible but its not good either. my parents are separated and have joint custody over me. however i cannot be myself at my dads. i also am not allowed to have certain friends depending on race. there is a lot of degrading done towards me there. at my moms i sleep on a couch in the living room with my mom and my brother who sleep on an air mattress. we live at my grandparents house. my grandmother is very verbally abusive towards my mom my brother and i. even her husband. going through this is very stressful. i know it doesnt seem like a lot is wrong with how i live but i really want to get out. i have a place to stay, i know how to support myself financially, and i also will be graduating school next year. i plan on staying in school and the people i intend on going live with are going to help me with that. my only issues are that i dont think my parents will let me get emancipated, and the people im going live with live out of state. how can i get emancipated if my parents wont sign. also, are the laws still going to be the same for me if i get emancipated then move out of state to new york? will i still be able to attend and graduate from high school?
Can you support yourself? Because "knowing" how to support yourself is entirely different than actually doing it. And living with someone else doesn't count as supporting yourself. You need to be able to put a roof over your head, food in your mouth, pay for utilities, insurance, transportation, medical, etc. AND finish high school. Do you have a plan? Are you independently able to FULLY support yourself? If not, you won't be emancipated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">