• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergecy Custody Petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dadinpa

What is the name of your state? Pa

I have filed an Emergency Petition for custody. The mother says she has school that day and cannot go. If she does not appear, will there be a continuation like most cases or will they go ahead with the consiliation without her since it is an Emergency Petition?

Papers from court state "if you do not attend a judgement can be entered against you or a bench warrant could be issues"

K

knorris

I know that when my ex brother in law filed an emergency custody hearing my sister failed to show for court. the order was granted that day. and the judge stated that her lack of effort to be there only helped in him making his dissicion to allow my ex bro in law full custody. my sister also clamed that she could not be there because she already had to be somewhere else. I know if it was my child nothing would stop me from being there. just curiuos do you have the child with you already ? Best of Luck to you and please let me know how it turns out. Kathie :)

I

Illinois Dad

Here is what happened to me...

My wife moved out of the home in Sept. and left the kids with me. They completed the school year and we had a court date to set temp custody on 7/9. The day before school ended she informed me that she was going to move the kids out of the house to stay with her all summer at her parent's home. My attorney immediately filed an emergency petition and got a response back from her attorney that he was going to be on his honeymoon that day and would not be able to attend. My wife did not show up since she would not have her counsel there. My attorney explained all this to the judge, who then allowed a "status quo" order to be issued stating that the kids living arrangements were to be unaltered pending further order. We rescheduled a new hearing and her atty called the day of the hearing and said he had other committments and could not attend. The order ended up being held over until the 7/9 hearing when I was awarded temp custody. Basically, her atty knew that she was going to get pounded in that hearing and it would be best to let the existing, non-prejudicial order ride.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">