• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency transport request by neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

I had a next door neighbor who called me one day, not to ask for a ride,and not to go to a different place, as hospital choices were very limited! But to tell me, "Now don't get upset and think I have had a big emergency when you see the ambulance coming to get me. If I call a taxi to take me to the hospital, it'll cost me, but if I go in an ambulance, my Medicaid will cover it!"

atlaswv

I don't know if things work differently where you are, but it's been my experience that, as long as the difference in distance isn't excessive and the situation is not seriously emergent, they'll usually transport you to a different hospital if requested or warranted.

But yeah - I'd leave the transport of non-family to the professionals.
I don't know if things work differently where you are, but it's been my experience that, as long as the difference in distance isn't excessive and the situation is not seriously emergent, they'll usually transport you to a different hospital if requested or warranted.

But yeah - I'd leave the transport of non-family to the professionals.
Thank you for your response. The difference in distance is 1 mile vs 5.9 miles or 4 min to the nearest hospital vs 15 min to the one she likes. She requested to be taken to the farther one, but they said they can’t do that. I also have to mention that an ambulance with sirens can get to the destination much faster than a passanger car in terrible CA traffic.

atlaswv

I had a next door neighbor who called me one day, not to ask for a ride,and not to go to a different place, as hospital choices were very limited! But to tell me, "Now don't get upset and think I have had a big emergency when you see the ambulance coming to get me. If I call a taxi to take me to the hospital, it'll cost me, but if I go in an ambulance, my Medicaid will cover it!"
At least he/she let you know not to worry:)

quincy

Thanks so much for this link. This is always useful information in any situation.
You might suggest to your neighbor that she call her primary care doctor for advice on choice of hospital but, in an emergency, she will want to go to the emergency room best able to quickly treat the emergency. She can be transferred to her preferred hospital after she has been stabilized.

atlaswv

You might suggest to your neighbor that she call her primary care doctor for advice on choice of hospital but, in an emergency, she will want to go to the emergency room best able to quickly treat the emergency. She can be transferred to her preferred hospital after she has been stabilized.
I’ll explain that to her:)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Again, thank you for looking out for your neighbor. This is what the world should look like.
Agreed. I've lived here for 20+ years. In the 10 years since my parents moved in, with multiple ambulance visits? Not once has a neighbor stopped by to see if everything was okay, if we needed anything. Aah well...

commentator

I know of someone who was in an ambulance being rushed to the hospital and his heart stopped. They used the paddles to jump start his heart in the ambulance and the situation worked out fine. You couldn't do anything if you were driving or caught in traffic and your neighbor's heart stopped.

quincy

I know of someone who was in an ambulance being rushed to the hospital and his heart stopped. They used the paddles to jump start his heart in the ambulance and the situation worked out fine. You couldn't do anything if you were driving or caught in traffic and your neighbor's heart stopped.
Liability-wise, anyone in California can act in an emergency to render aid to a victim at the scene of the emergency and be protected by California’s “Good Samaritan” law, this while waiting for trained professionals to arrive. Moving a victim from the scene can eliminate this protection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your response. The difference in distance is 1 mile vs 5.9 miles or 4 min to the nearest hospital vs 15 min to the one she likes. She requested to be taken to the farther one, but they said they can’t do that. I also have to mention that an ambulance with sirens can get to the destination much faster than a passanger car in terrible CA traffic.
If the situation is dire enough to require transportation with lights and sirens, then they will got to the closest hospital that is equipped to handle the situation, as they should.

atlaswv

Liability-wise, anyone in California can act in an emergency to render aid to a victim at the scene of the emergency and be protected by California’s “Good Samaritan” law, this while waiting for trained professionals to arrive. Moving a victim from the scene can eliminate this protection.
Yes.. I would not want to live with that for the rest of my life, besides I’d want the best for her but I can’t provide that with the best of intentions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">