• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eminent Domain Expense Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donaldfairburn

Texas

Background:
A few years ago, our business property was acquired by the Texas Department of Transportation. This was through a Voluntary Advance Acquisition Program which in short meant that the state had no projected current or future need for the properties but decided that they *might* the properties and, because there was extra money in the budget, was going to attempt to purchase properties.

Seriously, this is a thing - it was a non-eminent use of eminent domain and the first of it’s kind, at least in Texas. Our property was purchased from our landlord and TxDOT gave us dates to move out. We did an extensive search for alternative locations but could not find anything that met our location needs and matched our budgets. Basically, buildout costs would have been another $50-100K and rent would have doubled and most likely quadrupled. We decided to close out the business, but made TxDOT go through the task of evicting us so we could get as much use out of our location as possible.

Current Situation:
I have recently turned in forms relating for reimbursement of search costs for alternative properties; however, the TxDOT representative says that we are past the cutoff date for reimbursement. Documentation that we were provided by TxDOT and their representatives during our move out process states the following;

- “You must file your claim no later than 18 months after you move.”

We were required by the court to move on October 10th, 2016 making the last day for submission April 10th, 2018. However, the TxDOT representative has stated that I am using a “obsolete” version of the booklet. He has sent a page out of a new booklet that states;

- “For determining relocation payment eligibility, the date of displacement is the latter of: the date the person moves, or is required to move by notice ( whichever is earlier )”

Conclusion:
It looks like I will have to sue for reimbursement. The amount is about $5000 making small claims court a possibility. My legal questions are this;
- Which is the overriding definition?
- How do I prove that the booklets were given to me at the time? I have multiple copies, some with handwritten names of the TxDOT contractors who gave them to me. Some were sent by certified mail. But the ownership trail will be difficult to establish.
- The TxDOT employee is non-cooperative. Verbally he has agreed to send out forms for reimbursement and their address to which to sue the state, but he has not sent any of this information out.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

PayrollHRGuy

Conclusion:
It looks like I will have to sue for reimbursement. The amount is about $5000 making small claims court a possibility. My legal questions are this;
- Which is the overriding definition?
- How do I prove that the booklets were given to me at the time? I have multiple copies, some with handwritten names of the TxDOT contractors who gave them to me. Some were sent by certified mail. But the ownership trail will be difficult to establish.
- The TxDOT employee is non-cooperative. Verbally he has agreed to send out forms for reimbursement and their address to which to sue the state, but he has not sent any of this information out.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!
Let me help you with that last part first. It isn't the job of the TxDOT employee to help you sue them.

That said, what is the title of the booklet you were given and the version number or publication date on it?

HRZ

Suing a state agency is a minefield of getting the steps and jurisdiction right ...and you might not be able to do it in the lower courts ...do some more homework ? And be sure they are not covered by sovereign immunity .

Frankly as a DYI project I suspect you have poor odds

Ordinarily I would think you are entitled to follow the agencies own rules in place at the time which apparently you relied upon to your detriment ...at least as to your post it's not as if they sent you clear advance notice of rules change ...but be careful ...if this stuff was published in any sort of state official record you might be on " notice " of the change.

A pro at suing TX state agency may give you a pretty good layout of your specific issues and odds for a modest fee..not free . Probably well worth it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Texas

Seriously, this is a thing - it was a non-eminent use of eminent domain and the first of it's kind, at least in Texas.
While the words sound very similar, there is a distinct different between the word "imminent", which means "ready to take place", and the legal term "eminent domain" which simply means a taking of private property for government use. So I assume you meant this was a non-imminent use of the state's eminent domain power. There is no requirement that the government has any particular imminent use of the property in mind when making an eminent domain taking. The federal Constitution simply requires that the government pay for the property it takes.

As for the date you needed to submit the claim, it is interesting to note that the TXDOT publication on reimbursement for your move that it still has online states this:

You must have all your claims submitted to TxDOT no later than 18 months from the date you move, or are required to move. However, it is to your advantage to file as soon as possible after you move. The sooner you submit your claim, the sooner it can be processed and paid. If you are unable to file your claim within 18 months, TxDOT may extend this time period for good cause. The department is required to pay you promptly after you file an acceptable claim. If there is any question regarding your right to a relocation payment or the amount of the payment, you will be notified, in writing, of the problem and the action you may take to resolve the matter.​

You will find that on page 26 of the publication located here: http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/row/booklet_15.636.pdf

The revision date on the publication is March 2015, so this would appear to be the rule applicable to you unless this publication was superceded by a more recent one that has not been put online yet. It is not clear from the publication that it is the earlier of the date you actually move or the date you were required to move that is used, but that would seem to be the logical way to apply it. If that is rule, then you had 18 months from the date you were required to move to submit the claim.

Technically Texas does not have "small claims court" any more. Those courts were abolished some years ago. Now you may litigate claims of $10,000 or less in Justice Court. Some states have laws that require claims against the state to be litigated in a particular court and thus not allow claims to be brought in a small claims type of court, but I could not find such a requirement or limitation on my brief look at the Texas law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">