• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eminent Domain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

batgirl

Hi. I am writing to ask how one can fight eminent domain-
my aunts all live on the same block in a WISCONSIN town and they recently received news that the city plans on buying these blocks from them in the next three years and demolishing the homes. Needless to say, we are heartbroken and outraged! What can we do to appeal, prevent, or delay the process? Is there anyway to protect our family block? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your time!

FarmerJ

what will the city be doing with the land once it owns it ? If it is redevelopment for commercial use ? Is it too late to fight the citys plans ? If it will be because of street widening then there might not be much that can be done . At some point down the road It will be worth it for your family members to consult with a lawyer ( HINT rather that demolishing the homes maybe IT could cost the city less money to move the homes to new sites and pay all cost related to the moves , In north Minneapolis I know of one person who went that route and the city paid for it there was a block and half of homes taken for a school . The lady I knew of was quite mad at the citys offer and countered that they pay to move her home to another lot on the northside Inc all cost related to move .the city accepted , she was extremely happy , and this cost the city less than what they had to spend to buy out the others there .)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">