• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eminent Domain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bill Thomas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

My question: Is it legal for the federal government to take someone's land by eminent domain if the purpose of that taking is to allow a private company to make a profit?

justalayman

Can't research it at the moment but check your state's laws. Since kelo some states have specifically outlawed eminent domain with the benefactor being a private entity.

It's odd that you ask about the Feds taking land for this purpose. I would question their right to do so as the private use is likely controlled by state law. I'm can't think of a situation where the Feds would be in place to do this.

LdiJ

Can't research it at the moment but check your state's laws. Since kelo some states have specifically outlawed eminent domain with the benefactor being a private entity.

It's odd that you ask about the Feds taking land for this purpose. I would question their right to do so as the private use is likely controlled by state law. I'm can't think of a situation where the Feds would be in place to do this.
I agree about the federal thing, they really wouldn't have jurisdiction to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">