• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eminet domain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

southerndale

What is the name of your state?In the state of georgia, can the city take my home,(eminate domain)if the home is registered on the national historical site registry?

HomeGuru

southerndale said:
What is the name of your state?In the state of georgia, can the city take my home,(eminate domain)if the home is registered on the national historical site registry?
**A: yes, but why would the government want it? The term is eminent domain.

southerndale

state of georgia- The city wants to buy our home, their plan is to create a new town square. Our home is on the National Historical Registry. We on on a little over 1 1/2 acres, with a pecan grove and lost of huge oak trees. located in what is down town. All but one place around us is commercial. We have almost completed the inside of the home, but have done nothing to the outside. We feel the price they offered is extremely low and have refuse it. Now the city attorney has said he can take it with the eminet domain law. We also run a small business from this site. How do I find a lawyer who is willing to take on the city attorney. We are just heartsick. The money they offered will not even be enough to purchase another home. Any advice will be to very appreciated. Thank you

Get a lawyer, eminent domain is not something you can deal with yourself. I am not a lawyer, but I have had property taken by the government. It can be a very frustrating and unfair process, but the government does have the right to do it. What I learned was that it is very hard to fight the taking of your property, but you do have a good shot at getting more money if the offering price is unfair. There are sometimes other costs the government will pay like relocation and for loss of business that depends on your local laws.

If you really want to keep your property one strategy is not to negotiate or deal with the government, force them to go through condemnation to get your property. Go to the newspaper and local news folks, try and get some sympathetic reporting. It can make an interesting story. There is some chance the government may not go through with it if you make it hard and embarrassing for them. In the end if this strategy fails it will not reduce the amount of money you can get.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">