• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k.s.c

In a case of getting emancipated for emotional abuse, what certain behaviors would be considered emotional abuse?

quincy

What is the name of your state?

Emancipation would be less likely than your placement in a foster home.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In a case of getting emancipated for emotional abuse, what certain behaviors would be considered emotional abuse?
What US state?

Please note that, in and of itself, and very generally, "emotional abuse" would rarely be a reason for emancipation to be granted here in the US.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The applicable state law matters here, and you did not mention the state. But as a general matter, emancipation is not a process for teens who are abused to get away from their parents/guardians. There are other procedures for dealing with abuse. Emancipation is a process to free teens who are already living apart from their parents and are self-supporting to be freed from certain legal barriers that apply to minors, like the inability to make binding contracts, etc.

k.s.c

What US state?

Please note that, in and of itself, and very generally, "emotional abuse" would rarely be a reason for emancipation to be granted here in the US.
I understand about it being not being a valid reason for itself, but I guess I'm just asking in a general manner, what would be considered emotional abuse, also, its Alabama.

Zigner

I understand about it being not being a valid reason for itself, but I guess I'm just asking in a general manner, what would be considered emotional abuse, also, its Alabama.
If you feel that you are being abused, then please speak with an adult, such as a teacher, school counselor, therapist, or the police. They are all required to report your suspected abuse to your state's version of Child Protective Services.

Zigner

In your state, your parent or guardian would have to file for emancipation on your behalf once you are at least 18.

quincy

Although I'll note that the definition in that section only applies to protected persons, who are persons over age 18 and are also unable care for themselves.
So noted. There could be a better definition of emotional abuse offered by Alabama somewhere.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I will reiterate what was said above; teens are not emancipated on the basis of emotional abuse, no matter what the state and no matter what the situation. That is not and never was the purpose of the emancipation laws. Validated emotional abuse "might" get you put into foster care or a group home, but it will not get you emancipated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">