• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Distress Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Florida
I have a general question regarding what are considered "outrageous" actions in regards to the intentional infliction of emotional distress. I understand that what is considered outrageous is open to interpretation and dependent upon the context. For example one person insulting and harassing another person might not be considered "outrageous" under normal circumstances. However if it is an employee engaging in the behavior against a "patient" in a facility it might be. Any ideas or cases you can point out legal scholars?

Just Blue

I have a general question regarding what are considered "outrageous" actions in regards to the intentional infliction of emotional distress. I understand that what is considered outrageous is open to interpretation and dependent upon the context. For example one person insulting and harassing another person might not be considered "outrageous" under normal circumstances. However if it is an employee engaging in the behavior against a "patient" in a facility it might be. Any ideas or cases you can point out legal scholars?
Why are you asking this question? Is this happening at your workplace? Or is this a random, hypothetical question?

adjusterjack

Right. We don't like wasting our time on vague hypothetical questions that have so few details that the parameters are likely to change after each response.

Please tell us what is happening, provide the details, and how do you fit into the scenario.

Why are you asking this question? Is this happening at your workplace? Or is this a random, hypothetical question?
Oh, sorry. My first time here. I am in an alcohol treatment center and the assistant manager does not like me. He lies about me to the director and discusses some of my "issues" with other patients. I have actually heard him discussing me with other patients. Not too long ago he was mad at me and literally burst into my room and started cussing me out. I ended up going to the emergency room because his verbal attack was so brutal that I could not calm down. I have a heart condition as well as an anxiety disorder and I was afraid I was having a heart attack. Thank God I did not.

Oh, sorry. My first time here. I am in an alcohol treatment center and the assistant manager does not like me. He lies about me to the director and discusses some of my "issues" with other patients. I have actually heard him discussing me with other patients. Not too long ago he was mad at me and literally burst into my room and started cussing me out. I ended up going to the emergency room because his verbal attack was so brutal that I could not calm down. I have a heart condition as well as an anxiety disorder and I was afraid I was having a heart attack. Thank God I did not.

Just Blue

I don't see a civil suit in your ^^ posting of the situation. You would likely be better off transferring to a new treatment center.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The elements of an intentional infliction of emotional distress claim in Florida are the following:
To prove intentional infliction of emotional distress, the plaintiff must show:
(1) The wrongdoer's conduct was intentional or reckless, that is, he intended his behavior when he knew or should have known that emotional distress would likely result;
(2) the conduct was outrageous, that is, as to go beyond all bounds of decency, and to be regarded as odious and utterly intolerable in a civilized community;
(3) the conduct caused emotional distress; and
(4) the emotional distress was severe.

LeGrande v. Emmanuel, 889 So.2d 991, 994 (Fla. 3d DCA 2004). What constitutes outrageous conduct is a question that must be decided as a matter of law. De La Campa v. Grifols Am., Inc., 819 So.2d 940, 943 (Fla. 3d DCA 2002) (“What constitutes outrageous conduct is a question for the trial court to determine as a matter of law.”) The plaintiff's “subjective response” to the conduct “does not control the question of whether the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress occurred.” Liberty Mut. Ins. Co. v. Steadman, 968 So.2d 592, 595 (Fla. 2d DCA 2007).
Deauville Hotel Mgmt., LLC v. Ward, 219 So. 3d 949, 954–55 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2017). Note that the court states that it is the judge, not the jury, that determines if the conduct was sufficiently outrageous. In making that determination, the judge applies the following principles:

Behavior claimed to constitute the intentional infliction of emotional distress must be “ ‘so outrageous in character, and so extreme in degree, as to go beyond all possible bounds of decency.’ ” Ponton v. Scarfone, 468 So.2d 1009, 1011 (Fla. 2d DCA 1985) (quoting Metropolitan, 467 So.2d at 278). In applying that standard, the subjective response of the person who is the target of the actor's conduct does not control the question of whether the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress occurred. Id. Rather, the court must evaluate the conduct as objectively as is possible to determine whether it is “ ‘atrocious, and utterly intolerable in a civilized community.’ ” Id. (quoting Metropolitan, 467 So.2d at 278). Whether conduct is outrageous enough to support a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress is a question of law, not a question of fact. Gandy v. Trans World Computer Tech. Group, 787 So.2d 116, 119 (Fla. 2d DCA 2001); Ponton, 468 So.2d at 1011.
Liberty Mut. Ins. Co. v. Steadman, 968 So. 2d 592, 594–95 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2007).

quincy

Intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED) is also referred to as a tort of outrage. Outrageous conduct is a vital element that must be demonstrated for an IIED claim to be successful.

The case I generally refer to when speaking of intentional infliction of emotional distress claims is Armstrong v. H&C Communications, Inc., 575 So. 2d 777 (Fla. 1985). This case perhaps illustrates better than any other what “outrageous” conduct is.

https://casetext.com/case/armstrong-v-h-c-communications

To summarize the case, the remains of an abducted child were discovered. The skull of the young child was filmed by a reporter and broadcast on a TV news station, where the distraught family of the child saw it. The family sued.

Florida’s Supreme Court said that it had “no difficulty in concluding that reasonable persons in the community could find that the alleged conduct of Channel 2 was outrageous in character and exceeded the bounds of decency so as to be intolerable in a civilized community. An average member of the community might well exclaim ‘Outrageous!’”

I agree with Just Blue that your best course of action is probably to find a new treatment center.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">