• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Support Animal in College Dorm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meguin

The animal in question is a cat, so it would remain in the suite. I've already asked my roommates and people who visit the suite if they're allergic at all, and they've all said no.

PayrollHRGuy

The animal in question is a cat, so it would remain in the suite. I've already asked my roommates and people who visit the suite if they're allergic at all, and they've all said no.
Great. There may be neighboring suites that have people that are allergic or a suitemate that may not know they are allergic. I only say this to prepare you for what might happen.

LdiJ

Great. There may be neighboring suites that have people that are allergic or a suitemate that may not know they are allergic. I only say this to prepare you for what might happen.
Cat allergies normally do not travel between residential units, therefore the odds of another suite experiencing cat allergies is pretty darned slim.

It IS possible that a suitemate might have allergies to cats and not know it if they have never lived with a cat before. However, cat allergies are also very easy to combat with allergy shots...and also sometimes easy to combat with OTC allergy medicines. I had a roommate many years ago who was terribly allergic to cats and all he had to do was take alkaseltzer plus a couple of times a week and the cat could climb all over him without him having any reaction.

quincy

The cat dander becomes airborne and it also attaches to carpets, furniture and clothing. Vacuuming can work to spread the allergens.

If a person is allergic to cats (or anything), the recommendation from allergists is to avoid the allergens when possible. Shots are available as are inhalers but neither are 100% effective in preventing allergic reactions. Breathing problems, especially for asthmatics, can become so bad that emergency treatment is required.

This comes from someone who has family members who suffer from various allergies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My husband is allergic to cats. He loves cats, and I had two when I met him. One of them thought he was the best thing since catnip and always came to visit with him.

I left the cats with my housemate when I married and moved out. Both of the cats passed away within the next two years. My friend moved out a year later. But after having multiple cats in that house for fifteen years, he couldn't get through more than three hours visiting there until she moved to a different house.

I went to spend a long weekend with a friend out of state, and the friend had a cat. I had to wash everything in my suitcase before he could be anywhere near it.

We have other friends with cats and he pretty much has to live on Benedryl if we visit. One friend has taken pity on him and stopped asking us to dinner except in the summer when we can eat on the porch. I'm glad your friend could manage with just Alka Selzer but not everyone is that lucky.

Just Blue

I have to ask: What mental disability requires a cat? And how does a cat aid you?
They have a calming effect...I get anxiety attacks and my cat will snuggle with me thus making the attack decrease or just fade away. Works better than a Valium but not addictive.

Who am I kidding....cats are totally addictive. ;)

Just Blue

Sure, they are cute and all, which is how those evil cats get you!
One of our cats is black. The day my sister adopted him she was actually gonna get another cat...till she saw this one. He had been adopted by a woman that brought him back to the feline rescue because her hubby said he was evil. Because all black cats are in league with the Devil. She told the director of the rescue that she was concerned that her husband was going to kill Soot so she wanted to "return him for another color." Needless to say she walked out empty handed...the Director also called all the area rescues and shelters to give them a heads up about this woman and her @$$#%&! husband.

TM...I figured out your problem. You are scared of cats because you know that if you let your guard down a sweet, adorable kitten will just OWN your heart. Don't deny it...it's true. :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">