• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotionally Abusive Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeLikesPie

I'm a college student I live in the Rochester in and New York.

This fall, I signed a lease with 3 "friends" that I lived on the same floor with last year. There are two bedrooms so there are two people per room.

Gradually my roommate has become more and more cruel to me. He's said things such as, "I thought your meds were supposed to fix your personality" and calls me a trend whore, referrs to girls I hang out with as "random chicks." He also tells me that the other two apartment mates don't want to live with me, but when I confront them they say they don't have a problem. Living with him is really effecting my life for the worse and it's making me really depressed and stuff. I really don't care that he doesn't like me, but just the fact that he goes out of his way to make attacks at me and it's just really difficult living with somebody that you know hates you.

There are three solutions I see to the problem. I would like to switch roommates with one of the other apartment mates, but one person doesn't want to which makes it a no go.

The next best option is me moving out, but like I said, I signed a lease with the other roommates that lasts for another half year. Legally, would I have grounds to get out of the lease with them since my apartment mates won't help resolve the conflict by switching roommates, and I have confronted my roommate many times in the past about similar things.

The third option which really isn't feasible is him leaving... but I doubt that would happen. I'd rather leave anyways.

Thanks,
Mike

MikeLikesPie

Sorry

I refreshed by accident and posted this twice. Sorry. Could an admin delete one of these threads please?

Thanks,
Mike

HappyHusband

MikeLikesPie said:
I refreshed by accident and posted this twice. Sorry. Could an admin delete one of these threads please?

Thanks,
Mike
You have the power to delete your own threads.
Edit, delete.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">