• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employed physician - time off provision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

7zcata

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

Greetings, I am a pediatrician employed by the parent company of the hospital at which I work. My employment contract spells out my compensation, benefits, work hours, etc. My compensation is productivity based - i.e. overhead is not a factor (for instance if I have a highly productive month my pay goes up even if the billing office doesn't collect a dollar of the additional work). My contract stipulates I have ten 'days off' every year.

I'm confused because I would assume days off provided as a fringe benefit should come at no cost to me. However if I took a week off then my reduced productivity due to being out of the office knocks me down and would lead to a pay cut.

Years ago I was a sole proprietor and I knew this - if I wanted to take a week off then I just 'eat' the cost of maintaining overhead while away and not seeing any patients - it really hit your pocketbook hard. It seems to me now that I'm employed that I would have some protection from a vacation-induced paycut. I'm strained financially now due to a divorce so even though I need a vacation now more than ever I just can't afford it.

Does this sound like my employment contract is actually not an employment contract? Maybe closer to that of an independant contractor?
Thanks in advance for your opinions -- I'm trying not to be a grouch.

pattytx

Sounds like an employment contract to me.

I would assume days off provided as a fringe benefit should come at no cost to me.
Not if the contract provides otherwise, which it seems to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">