• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bailey06

What is the name of your state? FLorida
My boss has "offered" me a temporary leave of absence after a lot of disputes/problems between the two of us.Since I am 18 wks pregnant, and have access to all the company's financial info, he is worried and wants to somewhat do right by me. He gave me a blank copy of an Employee agreement to look over, this is what he has written in it:
This is an agreement beweeen the company and my name for temporary or maternity leave of absence. During this period part time or full time, you will be guaranteed to be paid in full, your net salary $_______ per week. With a choice of deduction for 401k$_____ or spouse insurance $__________. Check to be issued and paid on a weekly basis until the end of December 2006. Medical/Health Insurance through United Healthcare for me will be paid in full by the company through the end of March, 2007, or if returned to employment before this date. It is also agreed that during this leave that my name will be available either by phone or in office visit for information and assistance to staff members as needed.
There are 2 signature lines for my boss and myself and two witness lines.
He has lousy grammar, so I need to fix some of the above.
Would this be a legal binding contract once signed?
Would this be enforceable if he didn't pay my full salary as agreed or my health insurance?
Should this be notarized?
He also wants me to sign a rather lengthy non-disclosure statement along with this agreement. He is very concerned about me telling anyone of the financial aspects of the company, especially since I know of some illegal things he has done.

Any help would be appreciated, he originally verbally told me he would pay my net pay through January 07, he has since changed that. He says I will still be considered an employee, but doesn't want to pay my 401k match so is now giving me a choice between doing 401k or me continuing deductions for my spouse's insurance. I feel there should definetly be more specific language in this agreement. I want to make sure he does what he says he will do.

I appreciate any input.
Thank you.

JETX

bailey06 said:
Would this be a legal binding contract once signed?
In my opinion.... no.
One of the essential elements of valid contract, mutual benefit, is missing. Simply, there is no 'benefit' to the employer.

Would this be enforceable if he didn't pay my full salary as agreed or my health insurance?
See above.

Should this be notarized?
Won't help if there isn't a valid contract.

Any help would be appreciated
Then ask him to 'pony up' an additional $100 to pay YOUR attorney for advice.

bailey06

Legal Employee Contract?

Well, isn't it mutual benefiting because he is also getting me to sign a non-disclosure statement, and I am agreeing to be available to assist staff members as needed? If specific wording is put in the contract what he is getting out of it, would that be legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, I am a notary public. My seal affixed to the document determines that the signatories are who they purported themselves to be; it does not have anything to do with the enforceability, legality, or validity of the document itself.

JETX

bailey06 said:
Well, isn't it mutual benefiting because he is also getting me to sign a non-disclosure statement, and I am agreeing to be available to assist staff members as needed? If specific wording is put in the contract what he is getting out of it, would that be legal?
I'm not going to play 'what if' with you on something that I can't read in its entirety. Clearly, this is an important issue to you (3 months salary plus insurance, etc.). As I said: "Then ask him to 'pony up' an additional $100 to pay YOUR attorney for advice.". If he refuses, then it should at least be worth YOUR spending it.
Don't be a cheapskate on something like this. The risk could be substantial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">