• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Deductions by my employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

markmoose1

What is the name of your state? Illinois,

My employer is going to raise health insurance deductions due to our insurance premiums going up. He wants to raise the rate of the single deduction to 60% of what it cost the employer but he is only is going to charge people with family coverage about 30% of what is cost the employer. Is this within the law or is my employer required to charge each class of people the same percentage of the cost of insurance? Thanks in advance for any information.

Mark

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless your state has something quirky, nothing in the law requires the employer to take the same percentage out for different classes of employee/dependent. Keep in mind that the family coverage most likely costs two or three times what single coverage costs. It's likely that in taking out different percentages, he's keeping the cost to the employees roughly equal so that in terms of dollars, you are both losing approximately the same amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">