• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee expense reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spectre2022

What is the name of your state? New York

My problem stems from the reimbursement of an employee's "business expenses". A request for reimbursement from a particular employee that was filed more than a year ago was just put under my review. Even though the employee was reimbursed for this so-called expense, I believe that the expense was not business related after reviewing the request. This request was made and reimbursed before I was hired on to replace the previous supervisor, and I am reviewing it now due to a recent audit. My question is, if I believe that this expense was ultimately not business-related, do I have the right to charge that employee for that expense, even after reimbursement?

pattytx

A year is really too long. I would counsel the supervisor about what is acceptable and also the people who process the payments, and reissue the criteria in writing to all concerned. However, unless this is an unusually large amount, I personally would let it go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">