• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee named in law suite against company for sexual harrasment and wrongful firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

What can I possible be responsible for?
For making sexist comments that made the woman uncomfortable. (I'm not saying you did make those comments, I'm just saying that she says you did, and because you did - according to her - you are therefore responsible for her discomfort.)

I agree with others here, you really need to consult with an attorney. Even if you are innocent, you will need an attorney to guide you through all this.

LdiJ

Right she is claiming we didn’t follow the employee handbook on how to act in the workplace, which again is completely false and I have multiple witness to defend me... but regardless, if someone can please explain to me how in the world can I be financially responsible when I had no hiring or firing abilities ?? And what amount could it possible even be... she is stating emotional distress ?? Why do I have to prove I’m innocent instead of her proving I’m guilty... these are all allegations with 0 witness... can I counter sue for defamation of character? And attorney fees ?
No one is suggesting that you have to prove you are innocent rather than her having to prove you guilty. That isn't the question at this point. The question at this point is whether or not you can get yourself removed from the case so that its never necessary for you to be proven guilty or innocent. The question is whether or not you can keep being included in the lawsuit.

There are differing opinions on this forum, not to your innocence or guilt, but rather as to whether or not you can be dismissed from the suit. If your former employer isn't willing to attempt that for you, you need your own attorney to do so.

LdiJ

For making sexist comments that made the woman uncomfortable. (I'm not saying you did make those comments, I'm just saying that she says you did, and because you did - according to her - you are therefore responsible for her discomfort.)

I agree with others here, you really need to consult with an attorney. Even if you are innocent, you will need an attorney to guide you through all this.
Again, though, this isn't a sexual harassment lawsuit its a wrongful termination lawsuit.

adjusterjack

And you're getting way ahead of yourself with all those questions. You've been named as a defendant. Right now that's all that counts and you have to get yourself out from under that before you even think about anything else. To do that you that you file an answer to all the allegations that are listed against your and move to have yourself dismissed from the case. You will probably have to have a hearing and present witnesses, or you might have to go to trial.

Get yourself a lawyer if the employer isn't going to defend you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">