• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Parking Safety/Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Laura

Subject: Employee Parking Safety/Security

Can an employer require an employee to leave vehicle keys with parking attendants employed by another company? Lot management is done by contract, and vehicles are sometimes moved during day. For last year or so turnover rates of parking attendants has skyrocketed and many attendants seem very unsavory/shady.

These attendants have access to work schedules, any information in vehicles (addresses, vehicle registration, etc.), garage door openers and some pretty specific info about employees. I have repeatedly asked for detailed information regarding background/criminal checks on these people, insurance issues, a copy of the contract between companies, and voiced concern about safety issues, etc. I have been answered with vague responses that don't answer anything, ignored, or joked with about "ex-con" rapists and murderers in parking lot.

I cannot find any policies/rules about this issue anywhere in company manuals. Vague threats about towing my car have been made.

At this point I refuse to leave my keys, but am concerned about my job security. I know concern is valid - don't know whether to go ahead and hire an attorney or wait until they make the next move.

E

ex hr guy

Subject: RE: Employee Parking Safety/Security

Parking is optional. You don't have to leave your car -- but if you want the parking, that's the rules.

L

Laura

On: 09/29/1999 9:18:44 PM
Subject: RE: RE: Employee Parking Safety/Security

There is no other parking available. Inner city residential neighborhood with parking restricted to residents. There are only approx. 2 streets, one block in length, that have "open" parking on one side only. These are "shared" by hundreds of residents, visitors, and employees of surrounding businesses. In other words, the chances of getting one of the few on-street spaces are slim to none.

Employees are forbidden to park in pay lots for clients/visitors even if they pay. I've already started job hunting, but have many years invested here, would like to stay if I didn't feel they were putting my family and myself in the position of being potential crime victims. All I want is assurance there is aggressive key control, key access is logged, and NO ex-convicts are employed by parking company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">