• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee retaliation against supervisors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

HR is handling it exactly as their job description requires them to do. HR must investigate all employee complaints (no matter how implausible they may be) in order to protect the company from potential legal liability. That's HR's job. If HR didn't investigate all employee complaints (including the implausible ones), HR would be fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I suspect it's not that HR is handling things improperly but that they're not handling it the way you think it should be handled.

However, as one who not only used to conduct the investigations but who also used to teach employers how to handle investigations, you've not posted anything that suggests to me that their investigation is being handled anything but properly. Rather, that it is you who does not know how such an investigation ought to be conducted.

LdiJ

I suspect it's not that HR is handling things improperly but that they're not handling it the way you think it should be handled.

However, as one who not only used to conduct the investigations but who also used to teach employers how to handle investigations, you've not posted anything that suggests to me that their investigation is being handled anything but properly. Rather, that it is you who does not know how such an investigation ought to be conducted.
I know nothing about the subject and I know that you are the expert. However, I do sympathize a bit with the OP freaking out about it a bit. Most non experts probably would freak out a bit over the situation.

commentator

And sadly, let us stress to you that you may not ever hear the complete story of what they did or did not do to this employee as discipline.

My sympathies, I have worked in places where people who were reported or disciplined immediately brought down a complete investigation of the whole work area/department etc. They made tons of false allegations, pointed out the wrongdoings of others to both make themselves sound justified and to retaliate, not illegally. And then upper management feels obligated to check and follow through with all sorts of attention.

So as a supervisor, I'd always be prepared, if I were you, to be examined to the max and be asked all sorts of things by the people who were investigating your complaint against this person. Be blameless. (example, if other people in the work area are complaining about the one guy who's always late, or the one person who spends hours in the bathroom, be prepared, and tell everyone else in the work group it will happen, that after he's been approached, the problem person will say everyone comes in late, or everyone spends too long in the john. )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">