• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee with kids vs employee without kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bass1212

I and another co worker are currently furloughed due to corona virus. I'm being told I have to return to work because I don't have children, she has children and says she has no one to watch her kids if she returns to work. Is this a form of discrimination? Thanks in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. But in the majority of states, it's not ILLEGAL discrimination.

Since you ignored the request to provide your state, there's no way to check if your state is one of the very few exceptions.

FlyingRon

I don't believe that Kentucky is one of the states that CBG is referring to. Further, it appears that if someone was being discriminated against it is her not you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although familial status is protected in Kentucky in HOUSING situations, it is NOT protected in employment situations. Therefore, your employer's decision is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">