• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employeer denying benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goofy78270

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I email our benefits department less than 2 weeks after starting and requested information on tuition reimbursement as per the employee handbook I was given - See excerpt below. I recieved three documents back stating, 1 - the documents required for reimbursement around the classes and degree program, 2 - Tuition Policy which states that they will only pay $3,000 per year and request must be submitted before November of the plan year or benefits will be paid in the following year, 3 - Another check list that list all documents that must be submitted - letter of approval for VP level, receipt showing cost, grade, class, and so on.

Now that I have finished my degree, total of 6 classes after starting my employment, I looked into submitting my documentation for reimbursement and was told that there is another document - a Tuition Reimbursement Manual that explains that all documentation for each class must be submitted before the class begins or within 30 days of the class start.

I am wondering if the policy within this undisclosed document, which is not listed in any of the documentation I received or discussed in my conversations with HR is a factor in fighting to obtain this benefit?

Employee Handbook Excerpt:

6.7 Employee Tuition Reimbursement

The Company encourages employees to further their development and job effectiveness and will reimburse the cost of tuition for approved work-related study programs offered by accredited educational organizations that are directly related to the employee's present job or would prepare the employee for promotion.

The Company will reimburse employees up to $3,000 per plan year. Further information regarding the Employee Tuition Reimbursement plan can be obtained from the Human Resources Benefits Department.

Beth3

It's pretty standard for an employer to require requests for tuiton assistance/remimbursement to be submitted prior to the start of the class. You certainly can discuss your situation with senior management and see if they'll make an exception since you weren't given that piece of key information.

I don't understand why you waited until you completed all six classes to request reimbursement though. Most people would request reimbursement as each class was completed - in which case, the problem would have been identified much sooner.

goofy78270

I preferred to submit one complete package rather than six individual packages. That was the only reason fo the hold.

Beth3

Unfortunately, in trying to save yourself some paperwork, the problem became larger dollar-wise. In any event, your option remains the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">